Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Grand River Transit
There appears to be a bus bay on each side of Courtland near the station as well as a right turn lane onto Hillmount with a 4 head traffic light on the right with what appears to be a transit signal on the top. Likely is may be a bus bay as well.
@ KevinL and MidTowner

Thanks! I would have found it stupifyingly silly to not have a bus that ran south along Weber in this area. But then I have been alive long enough to realise that just because something is stupid it doesn't mean it won't be implemented. Smile

I agree MidTowner that there should be a bus that runs up Weber past University. As it stands, if I want to go to Canadian Tire or Wholesale Club, I have to either take two buses then walk from King down Weber, or walk from University up. Neither is very useful when planning to buy something(s) heavy or awkward to carry any kind of distance. So I can only do so when I can arrange a ride with someone.
Seeing as there are at least two buses that travel University and stop at Weber (I believe this is the case), I don't know why 8 does, or why (presumably) 18 will turn off Weber here as well.
In the plan, 18 is interlined with 12, right? So it has to end up on University.

I agree that there seems to be a big gap on Weber between Albert and University that isn't very well served.
I couldn't tell from the map. Do the 12 and 18 overlap on the east side, or does 12 not start until King and University?

Weber from University to King isn't serviced at all. Perhaps even as far as Albert as you say, though I don't know if it is just under served, or not at all.
(05-17-2017, 01:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'm looking at the 2018 proposal map again (http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/resources...etwork.pdf) and am curious about Block Line station. The map shows the 16, 26 and 201 all terminating there, but I have heard nothing about a mini-terminal or turnaround structure, nor do I see how one could be easily put in. Any insights?

The RFP plans showed a U-turn lane for buses, from rightmost northbound to rightmost southbound if I remember correctly. Controlled by signals of course.
Elmira Guy: the 12 and 18 will interline (one turns into the other).

ijmorlan: Buses would U-turn in the Block Line/Courtland intersecton? Interesting.
My new public Twitter: @KevinLMaps
Roger that. Thanks Kevin.
(05-17-2017, 04:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: Elmira Guy: the 12 and 18 will interline (one turns into the other).

ijmorlan: Buses would U-turn in the Block Line/Courtland intersecton? Interesting.

With the caveat that GRT lists them as different route numbers as to have the flexibility to not do so as needed.
Also keeps it from being one giant, unwieldy route (they meet again at their south ends, at Fairway).
(05-17-2017, 04:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: ijmorlan: Buses would U-turn in the Block Line/Courtland intersecton? Interesting.

At Hillmount, just north of the Block Line intersection.  They put in what looks like a bus bay on either side of Courtland with a priority signal for bus traffic to U-turn.  You can see the base here: https://goo.gl/maps/mdmFuPjzSGs
So buses would come up Block Line, go left on Courtland, U-turn at the Hillmount intersection, pull up to the bus bay on Courtland; then depart with a right turn on Block Line? Sounds alright.
(05-17-2017, 12:27 PM)Markster Wrote: As a software guy, and based on everything I've read about the signal priority, my educated guess is that you give the complexity far too much credit!

Thanks for your explanation - when you put it like that, you take all the magic out of it. Big Grin
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain