Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(05-02-2017, 02:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote: But I don't think he or anyone else has "blasted" anything.

Oh I definitely qualify as having "blasted". Cool
I have no regrets!

(05-02-2017, 01:20 PM)creative Wrote: It never ceases to amaze me how people are so quick to jump all over something without knowing the facts. We are quick to criticize decisions made by those in the know and with the expertise and experience.

Sometimes "those in the know" have good reasons for making a decision that seems, on its face, to not make sense. Other times they don't, and their decision can be a consequence of poor planning, questionable cost/benefit analysis, insufficient oversight, turf wars, political pressure, or all kinds of other reasons. Observers can be quite well informed as to the way those issues can contribute to an outcome, and have reasonable grounds to say that a bad outcome was probably avoidable. Certainly you can ask to try to find out the rationale, but how do you know whether you would get a rationale or an after-the-fact rationalization? 

It's the responsibility of the government to make good, sensible decisions and to communicate those decisions along with appropriate context. It's the responsibility of the citizenry to hold them to account, supporting good outcomes and calling out poor ones.
(05-03-2017, 12:42 AM)mpd618 Wrote: It's the responsibility of the government to make good, sensible decisions and to communicate those decisions along with appropriate context. It's the responsibility of the citizenry to hold them to account, supporting good outcomes and calling out poor ones.

Agreed.  Not everything can go to a public consultation or a referendum.  We elect people (to the various levels of government) to make responsible, reasoned decisions for us.
The irony of a new routing that would involve Regina is that Regina, having taken additional traffic from all the King and Caroline closures, has rapidly deteriorated in the last few years and will likely need to be at least resurfaced in the near-term. Meaning, the 7 would once again be on "detour" likely straight up King as before and by-passing the newly re-located stop.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
New bus shelters popping up all around uptown this morning, including the William stop between king and Regina.

Looks like stops along the ion rails are getting flat slanted roofs and stops else where are getting the arched/domed roofs.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Yes, it's to mimic the LRT canopy design.

I spotted three of those around Mill station this morning.
The flat roof ones are easier to see realtime displays from a distance. The GRT stops at ION stations are all getting realtime displays.

Effective today (May 15), Route 110 will operate year-round during midday period, in addition to the existing year-round peak service.
http://www.grt.ca/en/schedules-maps/reso...15-web.pdf
Why don't they just get rid of those stops at Pioneer Park Plaza?
What's your reasoning?
Innisfil partners with Uber to provide public transport

Quote:Adding a bus would have cost the town $270,000 annually for one route and $610,000 for two, which they thought would be too expensive.

[Innisfil land use planning manager Tim] Cane said the town council wrestled for years with the question: "How do we afford a transit model that on a good day would serve maybe 20% of the population?"

The community has set aside $100,000 for the programme's initial 6-9 month phase and another $125,000 for the indeterminate second phase.
(05-15-2017, 02:14 PM)razzie13 Wrote: What's your reasoning?
This stop is seldom used, even more so now that even fewer trips stop there.
The entire GRT fleet is to be outfitted with traffic signal priority units.

All GRT buses to be outfitted with device to control traffic lights

How effective are the priority signal units? I think it's a good idea.
(05-17-2017, 12:05 AM)timc Wrote: How effective are the priority signal units? I think it's a good idea.

The units themselves can be quite effective, but it's a question of how they're configured. The units can be configured for absolute pre-emption (signal immediately changes) which is what ambulances/etc get, but obviously that would be too far. Currently GRT has signal priority on route 200 and it's configured to allow extending green/yellow times by a few seconds but only when the bus is behind schedule, the light hasn't recently been extended by a bus, and only at a small number of designated intersections. And the buses are scheduled such that they should never be behind schedule in normal traffic, so the units are mostly unused.

It would be more interesting if GRT started tightening the schedule enough that signal priority was required to keep the schedule, and the units were actually regularly used. Also if the amount of adjustment was allowed to exceed a couple seconds, and to be used repeatedly at the same intersection. But I've seen no sign traffic engineering is willing to let them do that, and it appears they're not even willing to let ION do that. So we'll have to wait and see what the actual effect is.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »