Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(03-24-2024, 09:55 PM)nms Wrote: Going in the opposite direction, when will the articulated buses be in service?

I was under the impression that they hadn't even been purchased yet, and also that there might need to be some light construction work done along the route(s) that will have the articulated buses, so that the far rear door opens onto a proper landing pad.

Is there anywhere that I can find ridership broken down to show the percentage of student trips? Just curious to see if the increase in ridership correlates with the recent increase in student population.
I don't know of any such data available, but I could see that explaining the rise in ridership. Sometimes you can get on a bus and all but 2-3 people are Indian, yourself included.

If there is no such data available, maybe you could take the data/charts on the ridership growth with data/charts on the influx of students and compare the two. I suspect any line graph of both data sets would look quite similar.
This article https://uwimprint.ca/article/hey-grt-whe...ndy-buses/ claims that procurement was put off until 2027. Somebody cited it to me on reddit today, but this is the first I've heard of the chain in plans. I've not been able to find any corroborating evidence, either.
The Record recently published an article which compares Fall 2019 to Fall 2023.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-27-2024, 10:20 AM)jeremyroman Wrote: The Record recently published an article which compares Fall 2019 to Fall 2023.

That jump in Conestoga students is obviously huge, but the 50% increase in "Monthly pass holders" is bigger news to me. That's a huge jump in ridership for (presumably mostly) non-students for just a 4-year span.

I may be wrong, but I would assume that the drop in University student ridership can be explained by the development of the Northdale neighbourhood. Centralizing student housing within walking distance of the schools will naturally reduce the reliance on transit and driving for transportation.

On a related note, the City of London recently set a target of 32.5% for active transportation and transit usage in their city. Does anyone know if the Region of Waterloo has a metric that they're trying to hit?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/po...-1.7155957
(03-27-2024, 11:01 AM)the_conestoga_guy Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:20 AM)jeremyroman Wrote: The Record recently published an article which compares Fall 2019 to Fall 2023.

That jump in Conestoga students is obviously huge, but the 50% increase in "Monthly pass holders" is bigger news to me. That's a huge jump in ridership for (presumably mostly) non-students for just a 4-year span.

I may be wrong, but I would assume that the drop in University student ridership can be explained by the development of the Northdale neighbourhood. Centralizing student housing within walking distance of the schools will naturally reduce the reliance on transit and driving for transportation.

On a related note, the City of London recently set a target of 32.5% for active transportation and transit usage in their city. Does anyone know if the Region of Waterloo has a metric that they're trying to hit?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/po...-1.7155957

Lol...the comments are hilarious from people who are pretty typical....

""If we go with this 35 per cent target, you're constraining the system so that everybody is stuck in traffic and that's when the pollution is the greatest, when you're idling.""

This is literally gobblygook, non-reality speaking from the councillor. 

For RoW their plan was outlined here: https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...-06-12.pdf

I'd call it wildly unambitious. The 2010 goal was ~70% car modeshare by 2031. The 2018 plan made the bold move of making that same goal a 2041 goal, and planning to achieve that with 32 road expansions, 5 road extensions, and 2 whole new road categories. Yes there were other planned investments in transit and cycling, but I was disgusted with the process which absolutely was a Business as Usual plan.

The only way I can support new road connections is with the explicit goal to improve direct through-lines for transit. For example, reconnecting River Rd with Riverbend Dr with a two-lane street instead of the existing pedestrian bridge would let us run a bus down Riverbend to serve all the offices in there and then straight through to Rosemount and Heritage Park, and provide a north-south connection that doesn't require going all the way downtown to change buses.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »