Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gastropub No. 29
well, for better or worse, looks like GP29 is back?

https://www.facebook.com/gastropubno29/?fref=ts

(01-21-2016, 09:34 PM)Smore Wrote: well, for better or worse, looks like GP29 is back?

And now they are going into the old King Crab and not opening back up in the Ottawa Plaza.
I hope someone picks up the old location.  Very convenient to me!  

I would not have been inclined to go back if it opened under the same name.
(02-02-2016, 10:09 AM)REnerd Wrote: I hope someone picks up the old location.  Very convenient to me!  

I would not have been inclined to go back if it opened under the same name.

It's interesting how the (current) most recent comment on their Facebook page is from a customer who voiced immense dissatisfaction with their experience, and then the owner took full blame for it, admitting that they had not provided the experience they desired to, and that it is at the root of their decision-making process now.
(02-02-2016, 12:01 AM)Chris Wrote:
(01-21-2016, 09:34 PM)Smore Wrote: well, for better or worse, looks like GP29 is back?

And now they are going into the old King Crab and not opening back up in the Ottawa Plaza.

Is that really an upgrade of a location??
Interestingly, between the 85/Aud/Park/Cemetary and commercial around King/Borden, I'd say that Rosemount could provide just as many walkable customers. You lose the walkable Rangers game crowd, but that was always a very small subset to target. For drivers, Victoria and 85 are likely easier than Ottawa to deal with, though only marginally. It could also be that Victoria fits better due to the presence of other food options, meaning you catch some people who know to look up Victoria for options, without knowing where they'll go, whereas Ottawa isn't really a food spot.
(02-02-2016, 01:48 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Interestingly, between the 85/Aud/Park/Cemetary and commercial around King/Borden, I'd say that Rosemount could provide just as many walkable customers. You lose the walkable Rangers game crowd, but that was always a very small subset to target. For drivers, Victoria and 85 are likely easier than Ottawa to deal with, though only marginally. It could also be that Victoria fits better due to the presence of other food options, meaning you catch some people who know to look up Victoria for options, without knowing where they'll go, whereas Ottawa isn't really a food spot.

I think it's probably true that there were not many more people walkable to the Ottawa location than to the new Victoria/River location. But transit is much better at the former, and very few people are willing to walk on Victoria. I'm not sure to what extent Victoria is a place where people go looking for food without a clear destination- I thought the King Crab spot had become a real estate broker's office. A&W and Harvey's are nearby, not quite the same demographic. Still, you could be right.

We ate here tonight with some out-of-town friends, and it was great!

If I had to make one negative comment though, I was a bit bothered by the number of flies inside.  There were at least 5 or so that were constantly buzzing around while trying to eat - not very nice. I'm pretty sure I showered this morning. Smile

The atmosphere/interior design is great, though, and the food is very good.
There are a few places where some fly paper should go up overnight. Smile tiger has a single leather chair in the middle of their space, and every day, there will be a half-dozen flies buzzing around it and anyone seated there.
Tis the season... for flies.
GastroPub 29 closed down on Oct 28.

Attached Files Image(s)

Related to their recent inspection? Or other reasons?
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...df#page=26
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(11-08-2016, 11:40 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Related to their recent inspection? Or other reasons?
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...df#page=26

Their violations seems a lot less than the others that aren't affected, so I doubt it had a huge effect.

My wife and I tried GP29 for the first time a few weeks ago, and the place was completely empty (except for us).  I'd assume that would affect a closure more than a few tickets.

Coke

It seemed to me that the new location just never "clicked". Not sure why, although it was not especially visible if you weren't looking for them. A bit like their neighbour, Café O, although they seem to do OK.
I think the name gastropub is a bad choice, popular as it might be among some hipsters. It sounds more like a medical diagnosis than a place where one wants to go and hang around.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »