Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Bakeries
Best Bakeries

Golden Hearth or Sabletines for croissants? Nova Era for pasteis da nata? Grain Harvest for Pretzel buns? Nougat for sunflower rye bread?

What are your favourite bakeries in K-W and which of their products do you most highly recommend?
Where is this Rise and Shine bagel place that's being mentioned in another thread?
https://www.facebook.com/RiseAndShineBagelCompany/info
I'm surprised you've never been there panamaniac. You're missing out!

If it weren't for the limited days/hours, i'd have a steady flow of bagels from there. There was a Record story not too long ago about the owner and his passion for bagels. I can't seem to find it on their site though.
There it is, it was in the Chronicle and not the Record:

http://www.waterloochronicle.ca/communi ... d-shine-2/
It's actually a small café/tea room, but The Scone Ladies, recently opened on Scott St in the Downtown, offers a great variety of fresh scones and other baked items (eg date walnut loaf, banana loaf). They are going to be serving "high tea" (afternoon tea, actually) on Saturday afternoons. I've heard that business has been quite good, with staff from the Record becoming regulars.

There's several places with great croissants and pain au chocolat, but I think my current favourite might be Honey Bake Shop.

The canelés from Ambrosia Pastry are amazing.

The Hasty Market across from the Kitchener bus terminal bakes some really good Afghan flatbread in the mornings. Yes, really.

Golden Hearth's pain au levain might be my favourite loaf in town.

Quality Bakery has a stand in the back corner of the Kitchener Market, and they have the best poppy seed strudels in town and great challah.
I think Golden Hearth's croissants are fantastic!
Ambrosia, in a non-descript little building on Roger Street, is phenomenal. They are only open on Saturday's (or so I believe). The croissants, pain au chocolats, etc are all fantastic. I'm also a huge fan of Nova Era in Kitchener - their custard tarts are second to none.
I agree with DanHerman, I came on to post that I'm all in on Nova Era on the corner of King and Cedar.
I'll have to try Ambrosia. You are right about Nova Era - those "custard tarts" (pasteis de nata) are deadly good. They also make the biggest palmiers I've ever seen!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-industr ... 1016825677

It would seem Rise and Shine Bagel Company is for sale. Sad

What, no one mentioned City Bakery croissants as number one in the region?
(12-13-2014, 04:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: What, no one mentioned City Bakery croissants as number one in the region?

The butter tarts were a staple when I worked at the transit terminal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »