Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(12-22-2018, 01:29 PM)tvot Wrote: Does anyone else remember or have a vague recollection of a report put out by Communitech or maybe local government on the impact of 2-way-all-day service? I think there were numbers like $300 million investment for a projected $6 billion impact, but I could be off.

I was searching online a while ago and couldn't find much. I'm wondering if it might be time for a revised report to help local lobbying efforts for better service, given that the current Ontario government claims to be open for business.

There was a business plan put out by the City of Kitchener, I believe in 2015. Is this (see attached) what you're referring to?

Attached Files
.pdf   ED_GO_Train_Business_Case[1].pdf (Size: 4.66 MB / Downloads: 482)

(12-22-2018, 02:29 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: There was a business plan put out by the City of Kitchener, I believe in 2015. Is this (see attached) what you're referring to?

I guess that must have been it... about the right length compared to my memory.

Maybe it needs to be dusted off, edited into two versions and sent off to the Province and the Feds. The version for the province can stress pure economics and we can leave the environmental impacts in for the feds  Tongue
Question 
Is the 30 (the hourly connection between Kitchener GO and Bramalea GO) only serviced by older, single-decker busses?
^ I've seen double deckers on the runs back to Toronto mid day as I've been on single deckers heading to kw.

I also took a double decker at 748am to Bramalea.

Depends on usage elsewhere in the system it seems.
Ah, thanks!

Maybe I’ll try a Bus/Train combo on the way back; the trip in is a single-decker and I was really hoping to snatch an upstairs front seat on a double.

(Although I imagine there’s a mad rush on the Bramalea>Kitchener bus for that seat since everyone arrives on the train at the same time.)
The connection to the 2:53 and 3:35 train has always been single decker over the past year. Generally there's one or two people waiting for the bus by the time the train arrives, but you can get there ahead of most people by sitting in the east end of the train; front door of the first coach or back door of the second coach will get you right at the eastern tunnel and line you up to hoof it to the far east platform to catch the bus in hopes you're ahead of anyone else getting off the train.
Thanks for the feedback!

I took the 5:50pm train back. 2h17 to go 100 km, so an average of about 43 km/h. It was pretty agonizing how slowly it crawled along the way.

We must do better.

It's a Train for the People. Sad
Increase in GO Train service started Monday

Quote:A 25 per cent increase comes in the form of two more trains per day, one in the morning and one at night. 

A morning trip that currently begins at Georgetown GO Station will now begin at Kitchener GO Station at 5:40 a.m., arriving at 7:43 a.m. at Union. 

The existing trip that leaves Union Station at 3:35p.m. and ends at Georgetown GO Station will extend to Kitchener GO Station, arriving at 5:43 p.m. 

MPP for Kitchener-Conestoga Mike Harris spent his morning visiting commuters who are using the added GO service in and out of the Region. 

He tells 570 NEWS in a statement that the additional trains offer people more flexibility and options when they're commuting to and from Toronto. 

But NDP MPP for Waterloo Catherine Fife says that the added trains are not necessarily an improvement. 

"My office has already been hearing from commuters that rightly point out that we've gone from three slow trains and one express train -- in the morning and evening -- to now five slow trains." 

Fife notes that the express route in the morning toward Toronto has not been removed. 

She says that the increase in options is a good thing, but that's not all that matters. 

"The speed that one gets from Kitchener-Waterloo to Toronto and back actually matters to people," says Fife. "It affects their lives, their time with family, and their productivity."

(01-08-2019, 10:21 AM)Spokes Wrote: Increase in GO Train service started Monday

Quote:A 25 per cent increase comes in the form of two more trains per day, one in the morning and one at night. 

A morning trip that currently begins at Georgetown GO Station will now begin at Kitchener GO Station at 5:40 a.m., arriving at 7:43 a.m. at Union. 

The existing trip that leaves Union Station at 3:35p.m. and ends at Georgetown GO Station will extend to Kitchener GO Station, arriving at 5:43 p.m. 

MPP for Kitchener-Conestoga Mike Harris spent his morning visiting commuters who are using the added GO service in and out of the Region. 

He tells 570 NEWS in a statement that the additional trains offer people more flexibility and options when they're commuting to and from Toronto. 

But NDP MPP for Waterloo Catherine Fife says that the added trains are not necessarily an improvement. 

"My office has already been hearing from commuters that rightly point out that we've gone from three slow trains and one express train -- in the morning and evening -- to now five slow trains." 

Fife notes that the express route in the morning toward Toronto has not been removed. 

She says that the increase in options is a good thing, but that's not all that matters. 

"The speed that one gets from Kitchener-Waterloo to Toronto and back actually matters to people," says Fife. "It affects their lives, their time with family, and their productivity."

I'm guessing that MPP Harris wouldn't be allowed to say if he was hearing complaints, even if he wanted too...of course, given he was gifted a riding, he probably doesn't even care.
This seems like a constant political back and forth issue.
Curious who made the call to remove the pm express:

PC government? Unlikely (although they have the most part to play in bringing it back, and get an underserved photo op as well if they do)
Metrolinx: unlikely
GO: potentially
CN: likely

Not that I give the government any credit for this (or anything, really), but I highly doubt they intentionally cut the express trip. More likely a scheduling thing. Only a specific block of time available at Union which didn't correlate with a block of time to go through CN territory with express.

But yes, this does suck for those who work until 1630. I'm fine with the 1535 train, but not everyone has the flexibility to do so.
(12-27-2018, 11:30 AM)Canard Wrote: Ah, thanks!

Maybe I’ll try a Bus/Train combo on the way back; the trip in is a single-decker and I was really hoping to snatch an upstairs front seat on a double.

(Although I imagine there’s a mad rush on the Bramalea>Kitchener bus for that seat since everyone arrives on the train at the same time.)

It's not a great experience. The extra height and high speeds they travel at make it very unpleasant, the bus swerves a lot and feels unsafe.

Depends on the person, I prefer the view, and the swaying doesn't bother me.
I had one driver that rode the brakes the entire trip on a single level. By the time we reached Charles street, I was quite happy to be ashore again.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »