Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(12-21-2018, 11:41 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: My opinion is that all-day two-way trains between Kitchener and waterloo would have been a significant catalyst for growth. Without it the community won't suffer too greatly - there's a lot of reasons to come and stay here, more every day. But we won't grow as quickly as we could have, and more great people and companies will leave over the next 5-10 years than would have if the trains were in place. There's a very real opportunity cost that is difficult to measure, but non-trivial.

I think this is basically where I'm at as well.

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...oo-region/

Some absurd propaganda about GO service from Amy Fee, Mike Harris, and Belinda Karahalios in today's Record. Absolutely shameless.
"This is an important first step toward fulfilling our campaign commitment of two-way, all-day GO service, with further developments expected in 12 to 18 months."

This is the thing with these things. If they pull a rabbit out of the hat in 12-18 month, then great. If they don't, they're just that much closer to the next election. This also seems like kind of a funny issue because I imagine the vast majority of people that care about this issue are going to see through BS like "25% improvement in service" or similar gimmicks in 18 months. And the rest of the people probably just don't care?
(12-21-2018, 01:01 PM)SammyOES Wrote: "This is an important first step toward fulfilling our campaign commitment of two-way, all-day GO service, with further developments expected in 12 to 18 months."

This is the thing with these things.  If they pull a rabbit out of the hat in 12-18 month, then great.  If they don't, they're just that much closer to the next election.  This also seems like kind of a funny issue because I imagine the vast majority of people that care about this issue are going to see through BS like "25% improvement in service" or similar gimmicks in 18 months.  And the rest of the people probably just don't care?

The "25% increase" language is what annoys me most. We're not idiots; you're adding one single train per day each way. The only possible reason for using a percentage is to obfuscate. Also, it's been said before, but the "Ontario's government for the people" line sounds like bad satire of promotional material from an authoritarian regime.
(12-21-2018, 12:49 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...oo-region/

Some absurd propaganda about GO service from Amy Fee, Mike Harris, and Belinda Karahalios in today's Record. Absolutely shameless.

And what’s with this “Ontario’s Government for the People” BS? What next, we’ll officially be renamed the “People’s Democratic Republic of Ontario”? It makes me miss “Canada’s New Government” under Harper.
(12-21-2018, 02:09 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 01:01 PM)SammyOES Wrote: "This is an important first step toward fulfilling our campaign commitment of two-way, all-day GO service, with further developments expected in 12 to 18 months."

This is the thing with these things.  If they pull a rabbit out of the hat in 12-18 month, then great.  If they don't, they're just that much closer to the next election.  This also seems like kind of a funny issue because I imagine the vast majority of people that care about this issue are going to see through BS like "25% improvement in service" or similar gimmicks in 18 months.  And the rest of the people probably just don't care?

The "25% increase" language is what annoys me most. We're not idiots; you're adding one single train per day each way. The only possible reason for using a percentage is to obfuscate. Also, it's been said before, but the "Ontario's government for the people" line sounds like bad satire of promotional material from an authoritarian regime.
When there are 4 trains a day and you add one, it is a 25% increase.    If instead they had dropped a train do you not think the opposition would say its a 33% decrease instead of saying they dropped 1 train?
Who cares? This is what I mean - this is an issue where it feels like the people that care know exactly what 1 train (either way) means.

My issue with the "25% improvement" is that it's actually a reduction in service for many, if not most riders.  The loss of the express train has cost them several of my coworkers as passengers.

And yes, pulling a rabbit out of a hat is a reasonable metaphor, I have no doubt they'll announce something, that they will dress up and pretend it's frequent all day two way service, but there is no universe where it is the serve that we need or were promised.
"Loss of express train"?
One of our morning trains used to skip all stations after Bramalea, and go straight to Union. It now runs local-only.
Afternoon train (current 1650). The morning train (605) is still express.
Whoops, got that backwards!
The 4:50pm express service is very popular with local commuters. The equivalent train in the new schedule leaves at 5:02pm and takes an extra 15 minutes, getting you home nearly 30 minutes later.

The morning trains have shifted times in the new schedule:

524 becomes 515
604 > 605 (still express)
647 > 645
710 > 710
Does anyone else remember or have a vague recollection of a report put out by Communitech or maybe local government on the impact of 2-way-all-day service? I think there were numbers like $300 million investment for a projected $6 billion impact, but I could be off.

I was searching online a while ago and couldn't find much. I'm wondering if it might be time for a revised report to help local lobbying efforts for better service, given that the current Ontario government claims to be open for business.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »