Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Sorry, I registered this morning now but it's too late, still not letting me up-vote anything even with a login. Looks like it made the top 10 however so will get answered.

Local two-way, all-day GO service may be delayed until 2030

Quote:It appears we may not see two-way, all-day GO service to Kitchener until the year 2030. 

It comes as Metrolinx's new business case has been released, and the outline takes our local GO expansion out of the main plans. 

Waterloo MPP Catherine Fife challenged the Ford government's new timeline at Queen's Park on Wednesday, asking what the remainder of the plans for the Kitchener line are. 

The Minister of Transportation did not have an immediate comment. 

Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster told 570 News in a statement: 

“The item going to board this week on the GO expansion program does not apply to the plans that are underway to provide two-way, all day service to Kitchener. Increasing service and getting to two-way all day service to the Kitchener/Waterloo Region is a priority for us. We continue to make good progress on our work with CN on negotiating when we can add service on existing infrastructure.There will be more information on future service levels to Kitchener in the next year to 18 months. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.”
Step 1, slow down (stop?) work on highway 7, stop work on evaluating high speed rail and suggest that the same aims could be accommodated with highway expansion, and stop work on 2WAD GO.
Step 2, suggest that conditions are appropriate to push for 12-14 lanes from (London or) Waterloo through to Toronto on the 401.
Step 3, make the argument that the Green Belt really does need to go.
Ugh, don't even joke.
(12-06-2018, 10:14 AM)Spokes Wrote: Local two-way, all-day GO service may be delayed until 2030

Quote:Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster told 570 News in a statement: 

“The item going to board this week on the GO expansion program does not apply to the plans that are underway to provide two-way, all day service to Kitchener. Increasing service and getting to two-way all day service to the Kitchener/Waterloo Region is a priority for us. We continue to make good progress on our work with CN on negotiating when we can add service on existing infrastructure.There will be more information on future service levels to Kitchener in the next year to 18 months. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.”

Does that mean that they are not going to build a bypass? And we'll just get a few extra trains, but not all-day service?
Dumpster Fire does what Dumpster Fire does.

We'll likely see election promises in 2022 that we've seen before but with the new dates.
How fast can the Flexity trains go? Waiting on the province is ridiculous. We have been asking the province to provide us with good infra seemingly forever (I saw a news article from the 60s talking about how we were waiting on them to build out our highways to connect us to London and Hamilton).

Maybe we can build a phase three that is new track to Malton?

I really wish MetroLinx had greater authority to act and implement plans for all modes of transportation so that someone would actually be working in the best interest of the people.

We need to remove transportation planning and execution from the election cycle/political meddling.

They seem to even less autonomy now than when they were created.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(12-06-2018, 10:14 AM)Spokes Wrote: Local two-way, all-day GO service may be delayed until 2030

Quote:“The item going to board this week on the GO expansion program does not apply to the plans that are underway to provide two-way, all day service to Kitchener. Increasing service and getting to two-way all day service to the Kitchener/Waterloo Region is a priority for us. We continue to make good progress on our work with CN on negotiating when we can add service on existing infrastructure.There will be more information on future service levels to Kitchener in the next year to 18 months. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.”

Translation:  CN threw us a few extra trains on the existing track to distract us from negotiating for the much needed bypass that would allow us to add as many trains as we want/need, and we fell for it!

I feel ill.
Minister Yurek to Make Transit Announcement in Kitchener

Quote:Jeff Yurek, Minister of Transportation, will be joined by Leslie Woo, Chief Planning and Development Officer of Metrolinx to make an announcement at the Kitchener VIA Rail Station.
Adding another morning/evening run?
There's a few runs that start/end in Georgetown they could extend.

Eg, the 1535 from Union could be extended to make it into Kitchener around 1745, replacing the existing transfer to bus in Bramalea. Nice not to transfer, but I'd miss the nap I have on the bus when I take it.
(12-16-2018, 11:18 PM)timio Wrote: There's a few runs that start/end in Georgetown they could extend.

Eg, the 1535 from Union could be extended to make it into Kitchener around 1745, replacing the existing transfer to bus in Bramalea.  Nice not to transfer, but I'd miss the nap I have on the bus when I take it.

You can’t sleep on the train?

Rarely. The bus seats recline, some, whereas the train seats are quite upright and I can't stretch out my very long legs.
(12-17-2018, 08:48 AM)timio Wrote: Rarely. The bus seats recline, some, whereas the train seats are quite upright and I can't stretch out my very long legs.

Thanks for the explanation. An example of how small details can create a personal experience that differs from what the world at large perceives. I think most people, certainly including myself, generally think of the train as more comfortable, but if it prevents a nap I can see why the bus would be more attractive.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »