Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
During the week, I think there’s GO Bus service from KW to one of the stations on the Kitchener line, and then you can take a train the rest of the way. Is that service not available on weekends? I can’t seem to get a route to Union that does this. All the options are this 25 Bus that goes to Square One and forced awkward transfers. Any ideas?

(06-09-2018, 07:47 AM)Canard Wrote: During the week, I think there’s GO Bus service from KW to one of the stations on the Kitchener line, and then you can take a train the rest of the way. Is that service not available on weekends? I can’t seem to get a route to Union that does this. All the options are this 25 Bus that goes to Square One and forced awkward transfers. Any ideas?

No, sadly that bus is weekday only for some reason. Weekend the 25 is the only option.   There are express buses that go faster but only useful if the university is convenient.  There are a handful that are express from the university to the new 407 subway station, but otherwise all terminate in square one.

A few times I've taken my bike on the go to square one then biked to Toronto, the route isn't bad but it's pretty far so it's not like it's a faster option. 

On weekends best option for Toronto is often Greyhound, but they don't take bikes Sad.
Ahhhh, okay - that’s where I was getting tripped up. Thanks Dan!

University to the 407 station would be perfect. Cheers!
(06-09-2018, 08:07 AM)Canard Wrote: Ahhhh, okay - that’s where I was getting tripped up. Thanks Dan!

University to the 407 station would be perfect. Cheers!

NP...the University to 407 station sounds really good, which is why it's disappointing that it really is only a few runs, like, 2-3 per day...but if the times work out, it's really convenient.  (It's the 25F by the way)

GO Transit could be so much better even without the train.

Even the regular 25 could be better if they figured out how to do side of highway park and ride stations instead of meandering through the city to a parking lot for 5 minutes.
(06-09-2018, 08:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 07:47 AM)Canard Wrote: During the week, I think there’s GO Bus service from KW to one of the stations on the Kitchener line, and then you can take a train the rest of the way. Is that service not available on weekends? I can’t seem to get a route to Union that does this. All the options are this 25 Bus that goes to Square One and forced awkward transfers. Any ideas?

No, sadly that bus is weekday only for some reason. Weekend the 25 is the only option.   There are express buses that go faster but only useful if the university is convenient.  There are a handful that are express from the university to the new 407 subway station, but otherwise all terminate in square one.

A few times I've taken my bike on the go to square one then biked to Toronto, the route isn't bad but it's pretty far so it's not like it's a faster option. 

On weekends best option for Toronto is often Greyhound, but they don't take bikes Sad.

The 30 to Bramalea is really good unless you want to bike anywhere from Bramalea (in which case it's really bad). Sometimes I've arranged to come in from Montreal not on the weekend specifically so that I could take the 30.

The 25 does stop at both universities, and WLU is closer to me than the University of Waterloo, but it's still a 15 minute walk or so. I've taken the 25F and it's decent at getting you to, say, midtown Toronto.

A few months ago I came in from Campbellton NB on the VIA with my bike and then had to ride from Union to Square One before I could take the bus to here, since I arrived at Union at rush hour and there are no ways to bring your bike out to the GO bus at that time.
I just looked at the actual schedule - it looks like the 25 F does not run on Saturday, but does run on Sunday. Bizarre.
25F is only a Friday/Sunday run for students.

Even without a train connection, the 30 could be useful on weekends as there are numerous other bus routes that pass through Bramalea regularly, including some to 407 and Finch subway stations.
(06-09-2018, 10:04 AM)timio Wrote: 25F is only a Friday/Sunday run for students.

Correct, it meets a very specific demand.
Well, that’s frustrating.

Once again I have given up on trying to take transit to Toronto.. it’s just too complicated, confusing and expensive. Grrrrr
Whatever weight you place on this, the newly elected provincial majority government did promise to expedite two way all day GO trains to Kitchener.
(06-09-2018, 10:23 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 10:04 AM)timio Wrote: 25F is only a Friday/Sunday run for students.

Correct, it meets a very specific demand.

Right. This is fundamentally similar to our current GO train service, which works for commuters (from our region to Toronto) but not for many other people.
Starting August 16 GO tickets and PRESTO services will no longer be available within Charles Terminal:

Attached Files Image(s)

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Maybe the ticket booth staff need to push them out so EasyGo can take over?
That is disappointing. They could at least deploy a presto machine.

It doesn't bother me much since I can use the online services, but it isn't an option for everyone.

It could also slow down bus boarding since bus drivers can sell tickets, but it's time consuming.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »