Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Yesssss! They can put stations at Hespeler, Ion phase 2, and Preston. 100% support this option.

The radio was reporting the line will go from Cambridge to Guelph. I don’t understand this - I thought the plan has always been to extend the Milton line?

I need pictures or diagrams.

Kevin, I don’t see them having 3 GO stations in Cambridge... that seems like a lot. The trains are so long they’d span all 3. You could board car 1 and walk to car 10 and exit at the other station. Big Grin
Down the Fergus sub from just west of downtown Guelph approximately along 124 under the 401 west of Hespeler and into Cambridge.

Not the most direct route, and likely requiring a large number of modifications to ensure it's not a painfully long trip, but it is /a/ way to get GO to Cambridge.
Is there a diagram? I don’t know what any of those things are except 401.
(05-04-2018, 08:35 AM)Canard Wrote: Is there a diagram? I don’t know what any of those things are except 401.

I'm guessing this route?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ji4Yrv...AbziCdg9uN&usp=sharing
LOL, cross Black Bridge Road and look at the condition of those tracks... surely it would be cheaper to pay CP to twin the line between Milton and Cambridge.
Yes, bgb_ca has it right.

Why are they suddenly exploring this route? And not Milton?

Those tracks are in terrible shape, we’ve walked the Mill Run Trail next to them.
(05-04-2018, 09:04 AM)Canard Wrote: Why are they suddenly exploring this route? And not Milton?

Those tracks are in terrible shape, we’ve walked the Mill Run Trail next to them.

Because CP is being completely unreasonable in negotiations, and they can probably fix these tracks faster than get a deal for using the Milton line.
Re the route: It probably won't go down to Galt, and maybe not even connect with the tracks in Guelph.

This was mentioned in the Moving Forward RTMP consultations.

The question of why, it's driven by the region, and it was likely sparked by Metrolinx continued disinterest in including the Milton line extension in their plans. It's disappointing because it's pretty likely that Milton extension is the better option (it would be faster, lead to more transit expansion, although the Guelph plan does provide Cambridge-Guelph link that wouldn't otherwise exist), but at the end of the day, the region wants to explore improving Cambridge->Toronto transit options and this is an alternative.
Would it hurt service to KW? You're going to have "double" the trains from Guelph onwards so you'd need only half the trains in Waterloo.

That might still be worth it, but I think often twice the coverage with half the service ends up with fewer overall riders.
Makes more sense to me to use smaller trains to shuttle to Guelph, and connect to bigger trains there.
(05-04-2018, 04:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: Makes more sense to me to use smaller trains to shuttle to Guelph, and connect to bigger trains there.

That would make sense -- but does GO currently do that on any of their lines?

No, they have a homogeneous fleet entirely of 10-13 car Bombardier bi-level coaches.

It'd be a cute idea to run O-Train's old Bombardier TALENT DMU's, but Transport Canada will likely never permit that.
^ 6-12 car trains. Don't think any platforms are long enough for 13 cars, although I may be wrong.

They run 6 car trains on some routes off peak.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »