Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Sometimes I think that Presto was developed by people who have never set foot outside of Toronto.

(02-28-2018, 11:10 PM)Canard Wrote: Sometimes I think that Presto was developed by people who have never set foot outside of Toronto.

That might even be true.  GTA for sure.
I mean, every other city, you get the card from a machine. I didn’t realize Presto was that bad...
Presto vending machines are being rolled out as part of the TTC implementation. One could hope it gets extended to all GO stations too.
(03-01-2018, 08:08 AM)Canard Wrote: I mean, every other city, you get the card from a machine. I didn’t realize Presto was that bad...

I remember getting off the amtrak in NYC and putting some cash into a machine and getting a cardboard card to use on the subway and that was in may 2002.
(03-01-2018, 01:51 PM)clasher Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 08:08 AM)Canard Wrote: I mean, every other city, you get the card from a machine. I didn’t realize Presto was that bad...

I remember getting off the amtrak in NYC and putting some cash into a machine and getting a cardboard card to use on the subway and that was in may 2002.

Subway, yes. Bus, no. You get off the plane at La Guardia and try to pay for the bus and find that they only take coins. In the US, with no loonies.
A great summary of the hydrail report at:

https://stevemunro.ca/2018/03/06/metroli...en-trains/

Still a long read, but does a great job of explaining the risks and tradeoffs.

TLDR: The 2025 electrification target's a fantasy if we go with an infant technology that's never been built on this scale.  Also, efficiencies suck and the slow consumer march to electric vehicles puts the whole idea of off peak only hydrogen production at risk too.

HFR kind of like Hyperloop: cool, but not yet ready for prime time.
When you say HFR, are you referring to Hydrogen Fuel Cell? (HFR usually means High Frequency Rail)
Yes, I was using it for Hydrogen Fueled Railway. That may not actually be a real acronym, though. Smile
I like that much better than the other “H” word which clickbaity articles have now made popular!
Not sure if this belongs here, but I noticed just now that at Laurier, they upgraded the second ticket machine so you can buy Presto cards as well as load balance.
(04-03-2018, 05:36 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Not sure if this belongs here, but I noticed just now that at Laurier, they upgraded the second ticket machine so you can buy Presto cards as well as load balance.

Nice.  I should swing by there on my lunch break and finally get one!

Does Presto do the automatic day-pass thing if you spend more on trips throughout the day than a cost of a day-pass?
(04-04-2018, 12:32 PM)Canard Wrote: Does Presto do the automatic day-pass thing if you spend more on trips throughout the day than a cost of a day-pass?

They can, technology-wise. It's up to the individual transit agency's agreement with them if they do. I doubt the TTC has this in place.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »