Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(02-22-2018, 09:41 PM)Canard Wrote: The way I think about the hydrogen fuel cell thing is this.

If an alien were to land on our planet, and look at the two options that were on the table, they'd probably say something like:

"Wait, you're thinking about putting wires on towers up for hundreds of kilometres??"

[Image: 1200px-Shinkansen_E4_series_entering_Omiya.jpg]

I'm not saying either is right, I'm just saying we should just keep an open mind.

It's kind of exciting to think we could be the first country in the world with a massive network of fuel cell powered trains.

(I'm all for electrification via conventional means, but I'm also all for trying out new technologies.  As long as it's not stupid.)
Is it just me, r does that train look like it has a grumpy face..

(02-22-2018, 06:14 PM)KevinT Wrote: My understanding is that hydrogen storage isn't as space efficient as diesel, so the trains have to refuel more often.  
The weight of the hydrogen tanks might be 50% more than that of diesel tanks. Not clear to me what the volume would be.
Catenary-equipped trains will be the lightest, I expect.
I believe the tanks in the Toyota Mirai (fuel cell vehicle) are made of carbon fibre, so they might actually be lighter than the equivalent steel gas tank for the same volume.

You're for sure right that a train powered from OCS (or third rail or some other means) is always going to be the lightest. Every other option needs to have at least the same "guts" as a conventional electric train (motors + control equipment), plus a bunch of other "stuff". In the case of a conventional Diesel-Electric loco, it's the generator, engine and fuel. In the case of a hydrogen fuel cell powered train, it'd be the fuel cells themselves as well as the tanks and the fuel as the adder. Which probably isn't as heavy as the adder in a Diesel-Electric engine, but would lie somewhere in between.
Achievement unlocked:. Took the GO Bus from Laurier to Charles Terminal.
(02-24-2018, 09:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Achievement unlocked:. Took the GO Bus from Laurier to Charles Terminal.

For more than the price of a cash GRT fare?
Actually free in this case because I transferred from the University express, I just found it funny because Google maps always recommends this as a way home (at certain times) from UW, and it is indeed the most direct option.
So this is the second Loblaw-exclusive contract Metrolinx has opened. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/815...-stations/

The first was the ability to reload Presto cards at Shoppers locations, now we have this grocery delivery. We need to see more open tenders for these arrangements before things get problematic.

(02-26-2018, 10:38 AM)KevinL Wrote: So this is the second Loblaw-exclusive contract Metrolinx has opened. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/815...-stations/

The first was the ability to reload Presto cards at Shoppers locations, now we have this grocery delivery. We need to see more open tenders for these arrangements before things get problematic.

The article states "Loblaws was selected through a tendering process."
Ah, looks like I missed that. Thanks for clarifying!
(02-26-2018, 11:15 AM)KevinL Wrote: Ah, looks like I missed that. Thanks for clarifying!

No problem.   The article doesn't state how fair and transparent the tender process is though !!!

So you could be correct in your stated concerns..
(02-26-2018, 11:40 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 11:15 AM)KevinL Wrote: Ah, looks like I missed that. Thanks for clarifying!

No problem.   The article doesn't state how fair and transparent the tender process is though !!!

So you could be correct in your stated concerns..

In general, Metrolinx does pretty clear and open tendering (LRT train contracts are somewhat more complicated and I'll set those aside here).  

For example, you can see their closed tenders here:
https://www.metrolinx.merx.com/public/so...ons/closed

I don't know what this particular tender was called and I couldn't find anything that looked appropriate, though.  But for this kind of project, where the specific outcome was not predetermined, this would have needed to be a fairly non-restrictive tender, asking for creative solutions from the bidders.
Continuing here from the Grand River Transit thread...

(02-28-2018, 12:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: The Regional terminals, and UW's Turnkey desk, are the official Presto agents in Waterloo Region. The relatively low amount of service at the train station (only morning departures) versus the bus terminals (all day) make the latter the more useful option.

Thanks.

The 'Purchase a Presto Card' drop-list on the main Presto web site leads me to the Customer Service Outlet map which only lists Gaukel, but at least they do list something for a person here in town looking to buy a card.  My 2016 flight was planned/booked at the last minute, and I just assumed there would be a vending machine at the GO/Via station that would ding my debit/credit card for $26 and give me a $6 Presto card with $20 on it for my GO/UPX trip.  How hard would that be for them to install?  I believe I did spot a reload machine there too, so I could have immediately added funds to it too if necessary for my trip. Silly me for assuming that Presto would be convenient. Sad
I'm honestly not certain a 'Presto vending machine' even exists. To my knowledge they can only be purchased in-person or by mail.

Looks like they do now and the train station has one somewhere

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/find-an-out...g-machines

Edit: guess it's just reload looking at the other lines. Some machines do sell them though, just got here.
I bought my PRESTO card at the train station, but I had to do it during the ticket booth hours:
Monday to Friday (05:15 - 09:15)
Saturday and Sunday (08:00 - 13:00, 15:30 - 19:45)
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »