Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Waterloo also has two universities and lots of tech and insurance companies with offices in Waterloo. Cambridge not so much.

Cambridge does apparently have over 5000 people commuting to Toronto daily.
I think for real numbers they'd have to survey people at all the park & rides along the way. I know people who go in to Toronto who will drive partway and then take the Go because it saves time and adds schedule flexibility compared to either Kitchener or Cambridge departures.
(01-20-2018, 01:04 PM)tvot Wrote: I think for real numbers they'd have to survey people at all the park & rides along the way. I know people who go in to Toronto who will drive partway and then take the Go because it saves time and adds schedule flexibility compared to either Kitchener or Cambridge departures.

That would be one indication. Current GO bus ridership is another. The there are people who are driving solo. And yet those people who are not commuting but would be if there were a GO train.

Still, the bus ridership (how many runs per day?) is super low so it seems a big stretch to expect GO train service for Cambridge anytime in the near term.
4 AM EB runs to meet with trains in Milton, 8 WB runs in the afternoon (4 Bus/Bus, 4 Train/Bus, all connecting at Milton station)
Does anyone know why the state of GO Transit between KW and anywhere along Lake Ontario is so miserable? I've recently made some friends in Oakville, Hamilton, and Burlington. Them not owning cars, the onus is on me to always do the travelling to visit them, as the GO options typically involve them travelling all the way up to Toronto or Mississauga, then all the way back to get to KW. How is there no bus that runs between Hamilton and KW, at the very least? A 3+ hour trip via transit to get from Hamilton to KW is absolutely ridiculous, when a car ride is 45 minutes.
Isn't there a Coach Canada bus that runs between KW and Hamilton? There used to be, at least.

There is a bus from Hamilton GO to Kitchener/Waterloo. I used to be Coach Canada, but maybe it's Megabus now?
Same company but as far as I know it's still the Coach Canada brand. And that bus is why GO is nonexistent; the private company got the route instead.
(01-20-2018, 05:39 PM)timio Wrote: 4 AM EB runs to meet with trains in Milton, 8 WB runs in the afternoon (4 Bus/Bus, 4 Train/Bus, all connecting at Milton station)

Assuming that's net four buses connecting Milton to Cambridge, it's an average of seven people per bus.
(01-20-2018, 12:50 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: I find it interesting it says only 55 people a day use the Cambridge to Milton bus. I've been on go busses with more people than that leaving Waterloo.

Doesn't that right there kind of kill the idea that the train would be more viable?  I mean sure, ridership would go up, but that's low.
(01-17-2018, 11:02 PM)timio Wrote: That makes sense.  Would the double deckers fit under the rail spur on Wellington?  Google suggests it's 4.5m clearance.

Yes, but also that spur is abandoned so it'll fall down on its own soon enough.
(01-22-2018, 03:02 PM)kps Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:02 PM)timio Wrote: That makes sense.  Would the double deckers fit under the rail spur on Wellington?  Google suggests it's 4.5m clearance.

True... that spur line looks ripe for a Spur Line Trail 2.0

(01-22-2018, 03:21 PM)urbd Wrote: True... that spur line looks ripe for a Spur Line Trail 2.0

Would be nice if it ran the original length of the spur (to the Lancaster mill in Bridgeport) and connected to both the Grand trail and a trail through Bechtel park at the north, and a trail along the Metrolinx corridor at the south. Won't happen, though.
(01-22-2018, 03:02 PM)kps Wrote:

According to Wikipedia, the double decker buses are as follows

The first generation stood at a height of 4.3 metres, and second and third generations were built and acquired at even lower heights – in 2013 and 2016 at 4.15 and 3.9 metres, respectively – that allowed them to pass under lower bridges and trees and be used on additional routes.

So even before if falls down of neglect, they should fit under it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »