Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
That's the Cambridge route - it goes to SmartCentres, Cambridge Centre, and Galt, but not to Sportsworld.

(01-16-2018, 08:36 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: That's the Cambridge route - it goes to SmartCentres, Cambridge Centre, and Galt, but not to Sportsworld.

Ahh, I misunderstood.  Although in that case you could take it to SmartCentres and the iXpress/ION BRT up to Sportsworld.

Personally, I hate the Sportsworld park and ride, it seems so pointless.
It works for those who live nearby (like me). Also does a good job of breaking up the big empty between Fairview and Pinebush - especially since SmartCentres doesn't have a park-and-ride.

And having not been aware of the GO bus stop on Hespeler at Pinebush (which, I might add, was covered in about six inches of snow), I wasn't looking forward to a walk from the GO station to the new iXpress station on Hespeler Road in a heavy snowfall.
(01-16-2018, 11:26 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: It works for those who live nearby (like me). Also does a good job of breaking up the big empty between Fairview and Pinebush - especially since SmartCentres doesn't have a park-and-ride.

And having not been aware of the GO bus stop on Hespeler at Pinebush (which, I might add, was covered in about six inches of snow), I wasn't looking forward to a walk from the GO station to the new iXpress station on Hespeler Road in a heavy snowfall.

Yeah, to be fair, I tend to forget that there is a neighbourhood there, that part of the city just feels very isolated.

But in terms of transit facilities, if feels like it would be better located at Smart Centers.

What is most frustrating about it though, is how we cannot seem to figure out efficient highway park and rides.  When the bus takes 4-6 minutes to get to and from the park and ride it adds so much time to the bus, it's incredibly frustrating.  Other places, from the US to the Netherlands figure out how to have buses stop on a ramp to the highway and provide ped access to a parking lot at the edge of the roads, it makes busing far more compelling.
This morning I saw a GO bus pulled over for "route planning" (according to its display) on Victoria, just west of the Conestoga Parkway facing east. Do any of the KW routes currently travel down Victoria to the highway? Wondering if this is for adjustments to current routes or a new route entirely.
(01-17-2018, 12:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yeah, to be fair, I tend to forget that there is a neighbourhood there, that part of the city just feels very isolated.

But in terms of transit facilities, if feels like it would be better located at Smart Centers.

What is most frustrating about it though, is how we cannot seem to figure out efficient highway park and rides.  When the bus takes 4-6 minutes to get to and from the park and ride it adds so much time to the bus, it's incredibly frustrating.  Other places, from the US to the Netherlands figure out how to have buses stop on a ramp to the highway and provide ped access to a parking lot at the edge of the roads, it makes busing far more compelling.

It is isolated - it's separated from Kitchener by the Grand and from Cambridge by the 401 and the Speed River. That's why it needs transit more than ever; it can help build up commercial development. Residential density may take a while, but having the option to drive from the plant or office to Sportsworld, leave your car, and take a bus into town for a meeting would be an attractive option. Gotta bridge the gap between the cities somehow.
(01-16-2018, 01:36 PM)KevinL Wrote: Does anyone else find the premise of this story odd? There seems to be some expectation of an 'imminent' announcement of GO trains to Cambridge - something I was led to understand is some time off, based on CP's foot-dragging.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/807...cambridge/

I like the point about outside the box thinking.  If Cambridge is serious they should investigate re-laying track on the old right of way east of Water St. that heads south through Branchton and Harrisburg to intercept the double-track CN mainline from Brantford to Dundas.  If you could lay that single track and then triple-track the CN portion to the Lakeshore line, you could run an all day hourly service.  If Cambridge payed for the study and found it to be feasible, what would Metrolinx do with that information?  I seem to recall that the Missing Link being negotiated with CN to un-bottleneck the Kitchener line came out of a municipally funded study...

(01-17-2018, 11:35 AM)wdjo Wrote: This morning I saw a GO bus pulled over for "route planning" (according to its display) on Victoria, just west of the Conestoga Parkway facing east. Do any of the KW routes currently travel down Victoria to the highway? Wondering if this is for adjustments to current routes or a new route entirely.

Maybe related to the bridge closing soon? Looking into alternative places to put stops when they are detoured off of Victoria.

Edit: I'm not sure GO uses Victoria to be honest. I just assume they would being a major highway.
25 and 30 go down Charles with a stop at King/Montgomery before catching the highway (except for the 25 express which catch the expressway at University).
(01-17-2018, 04:03 PM)Chris Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:35 AM)wdjo Wrote: This morning I saw a GO bus pulled over for "route planning" (according to its display) on Victoria, just west of the Conestoga Parkway facing east. Do any of the KW routes currently travel down Victoria to the highway? Wondering if this is for adjustments to current routes or a new route entirely.

Maybe related to the bridge closing soon? Looking into alternative places to put stops when they are detoured off of Victoria.

Edit: I'm not sure GO uses Victoria to be honest. I just assume they would being a major highway.

To and from the new bus yard on Shirley Ave perhaps?
(01-17-2018, 04:00 PM)KevinT Wrote: I like the point about outside the box thinking.  If Cambridge is serious they should investigate re-laying track on the old right of way east of Water St. that heads south through Branchton and Harrisburg to intercept the double-track CN mainline from Brantford to Dundas.  If you could lay that single track and then triple-track the CN portion to the Lakeshore line, you could run an all day hourly service.  If Cambridge payed for the study and found it to be feasible, what would Metrolinx do with that information?  I seem to recall that the Missing Link being negotiated with CN to un-bottleneck the Kitchener line came out of a municipally funded study...

The scheduling might be difficult - connecting it to the Lakeshore line would make the all-day trains a bit lopsided. Even now trains sit at Oshawa way longer than at Aldershot because that part of the trip is shorter. Would probably be easier to rehab the ex-CN line from Galt to Guelph and hook up with the Kitchener line. The track's already there, more or less. Threading it through the yard would be the biggest challenge; might require CP to revive the plans for a yard in Ayr.
(01-17-2018, 07:05 PM)DHLawrence Wrote:  Would probably be easier to rehab the ex-CN line from Galt to Guelph and hook up with the Kitchener line. The track's already there, more or less. 

I kinda like this, not least because it allows for a station in Hespeler proper.
(01-17-2018, 05:00 PM)JCnb Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 04:03 PM)Chris Wrote: Maybe related to the bridge closing soon? Looking into alternative places to put stops when they are detoured off of Victoria.

To and from the new bus yard on Shirley Ave perhaps?

That makes sense.  Would the double deckers fit under the rail spur on Wellington?  Google suggests it's 4.5m clearance.

Speaking of trains to Cambridge...

Quote:Despite low ridership, new transportation minister says studying GO train service for her riding is a priority

Ontario’s new transportation minister has said she will make it a priority to look into bringing GO train service to her home riding, despite the fact ridership on the existing GO bus line there is the lowest in the region, and logistical challenges make upgrading to rail service a distant possibility.
I find it interesting it says only 55 people a day use the Cambridge to Milton bus. I've been on go busses with more people than that leaving Waterloo.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »