Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(07-31-2017, 10:42 AM)Canard Wrote: So the other old art deco station isn't in use by GO anymore? And all GO trains use the new one?

You'd think, but no, many trains still call there. The outstanding arrangement with CP to serve it is still in force.

Hamilton's in a curious state of limbo on all this, to be honest.

No: the majority of Go trains still use the Hunter Street terminal, the TH&B (Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway) station.
West Harbour GO is a new station built a block west of the old Liuna Station, which is now defunct as a rail depot.

The Hamilton schedule:
http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/P...Table1.pdf

West Harbour GO has 2 trains a day (each way)
Hamilton Centre GO has 4 trains a day (each way)

West Harbour GO was a project tied to the Pan Am Games, and had additional service while the games were on.  Its construction was entirely focused around serving the Pan Am Games, which is why the east connection for the rails (toward Niagara) was ignored.

Service to West Harbour is currently constrained because of this junction. Lots of trains need to cross from one side of the corridor to the other to get where they need to go. It's been estimated that a grade separation that would allow GO to travel unimpeded would cost up to $400M, due to the tight spaces and swampy conditions.
I ended up just making my own picture of how I think it is set up, because I'm a visual guy and don't understand street names and stuff...

Is this correct?

So the blue is the CP one that goes to the old station, and green is CN that eventually goes to Niagara Falls, but trains that want to stop at the Harbour station have to go onto a siding... which is a dead end, so can't stop there and continue to Niagara Falls?

Why on Earth would they ever set up a platform like that with that kind of restriction?
(07-31-2017, 01:17 PM)Canard Wrote: I ended up just making my own picture of how I think it is set up, because I'm a visual guy and don't understand street names and stuff...

Is this correct?

Yep, that's the layout.
Thanks!

Like I said - visual guy. Big Grin
And most of the CP route is in a single-track tunnel, which compounds the issue.

About the only place CP was almost willing to allow extra passenger service was north of Lake Superior, when it was rumoured that VIA was going to switch the Canadian to the old route east of Winnipeg; much of CP's westbound traffic goes through the US now. In southern Ontario, forget it.

Man heralded for spotting runaway forklift on GO tracks near Kitchener - CBC News
GO Transit Service Changes effective September: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updat...anges.aspx

Highlights include additional Barrie Line trains and bus changes (63, 65, 68), 24-hour service to Pearson Airport from North York (34) and Richmond Hill/Square One/Hamilton (40), new services to Dixie and Renforth transitway stations (19, 40) and frequency boosts on many routes (12, 19, 29, 40)

For Waterloo Region, weekend Route 25 bus service will start two hours early, with the first bus leaving UW at 4:55am and arriving at Square One at 6:40am. In addition there will be more Friday and Sunday service on the 25F branch to York University. Word is that come next April, Routes 25/29 will be extended to the Renforth Transitway station in Mississauga's Airport Corporate Centre.
(08-16-2017, 10:22 AM)yige_t Wrote: Word is that come next April, Routes 25/29 will be extended to the Renforth Transitway station in Mississauga's Airport Corporate Centre.

Airport connection!
(08-16-2017, 05:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 10:22 AM)yige_t Wrote: Word is that come next April, Routes 25/29 will be extended to the Renforth Transitway station in Mississauga's Airport Corporate Centre.

Airport connection!

Saves a bunch of time on the 7/107 or makes the taxi ride a lot cheaper, but unless you're me, you probably wouldn't walk the 4km from there to the airport. The claim is that it has a "connection to the airport", but I'm not sure what that means. Wikipedia says: "Land has been preserved for future dedicated bus lanes to Toronto Pearson International Airport[6] and a possible extension of the Eglinton Crosstown line.[7]"

Transitway does look like full-BRT through a suburban landscape though. From the GO Transit site about the Transitway: "The new Mississauga Transitway will allow GO to serve new areas of Mississauga without compromising travel times and ride quality to existing customers."
It just changes where you connect to the 107, if you're airport-bound. Not a huge deal.

It'll be cool if/when they extend the Crosstown LRT...
The long-term goal is to extend routes 25 and 29 to the new Kipling GO Bus Terminal, currently in the RFP phase. There's plenty of bus connections from Renforth to the airport (GO route 40, MiWay 7/107)

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/impro...40x400.jpg

(08-16-2017, 09:55 PM)yige_t Wrote: The long-term goal is to extend routes 25 and 29 to the new Kipling GO Bus Terminal, currently in the RFP phase. There's plenty of bus connections from Renforth to the airport (GO route 40, MiWay 7/107)

That would be a huge improvement in 25 service, any idea on timeframes for that?
(08-16-2017, 10:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-16-2017, 09:55 PM)yige_t Wrote: The long-term goal is to extend routes 25 and 29 to the new Kipling GO Bus Terminal, currently in the RFP phase. There's plenty of bus connections from Renforth to the airport (GO route 40, MiWay 7/107)

That would be a huge improvement in 25 service, any idea on timeframes for that?
The new GO terminal is expected to be completed on or after 2019, so probably no earlier than that. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ki...-1.4053074
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »