Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(08-11-2015, 08:08 AM)MidTowner Wrote: The Oktoberfest would probably be the best bet. I wonder if organizers would be willing to request it of Go transit or pitch the idea. It's the only event I can think of in the Region that is truly unique (nothing like it in the GTA at anything close to the scale), and is downtown. Maybe it would be possible to convince Go to run trains here and back for the parade- we don't need more auto traffic that day near the cores, and the parade might well be an event that would draw day visitors from Toronto. It would be more promotional opportunity for Oktoberfest, and a way for Go to demonstrate to riders the benefits.

Another major attraction of GO service at Oktoberfest would be to address the drink/drive problem that day visitors face. This might only require one extra train on weeknights. Visitors from Toronto could use one of the two existing returning trains to get here and then take the special late-night train to get back. (That might not matter if the train would then have to turn around and come back to ROW in order to be ready for the next morning.) Weekend trains would be net new since there's normally no service then, but again would tie in with both the parade and Oktoberfest "celebrations" in general.

When Skydome first opened there was more special event service on the non-Lakeshore lines, or at least on the Milton Line. Not sure why they stopped running it.
(08-08-2015, 09:38 AM)Canard Wrote: I really wish we could have at least one weekend in/out train to Toronto.  Like leave Saturday morning at 9am, comeback at 7pm.  I'm sure there are a ton of families and people who would love to use that, instead of fighting on 401 and the Gardener and so on to get to Downtown Toronto.

I think there would be a lot of demand for that.  I'd certainly use it quite often.
(08-12-2015, 11:03 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 09:38 AM)Canard Wrote: I really wish we could have at least one weekend in/out train to Toronto.  Like leave Saturday morning at 9am, comeback at 7pm.  I'm sure there are a ton of families and people who would love to use that, instead of fighting on 401 and the Gardener and so on to get to Downtown Toronto.

I think there would be a lot of demand for that.  I'd certainly use it quite often.

Much more appealing than driving and parking in downtown TO.  For visiting family in Scarborough/Markham I would still drive, but a weekend GO train would make visits to downtown a whole lot more attractive.
I suggested it to GO transit and they acknowledged receipt of my suggestion.
In 2 weeks the GRT route 200 will move to Hespeler Road and no longer stop by Montana's at the Cambridge SmartCentres. Do we know if, and to where, the GO stop that is currently there will be moving?
(08-25-2015, 12:15 AM)KevinL Wrote: In 2 weeks the GRT route 200 will move to Hespeler Road and no longer stop by Montana's at the Cambridge SmartCentres. Do we know if, and to where, the GO stop that is currently there will be moving?

Seems like a good idea to ask GO. You never know, maybe they don't know about this fact yet....

I'd assume the GO stop would stay there still. The 51 will still be stopping there as well.
(08-25-2015, 10:04 AM)Waterlooer Wrote: I'd assume the GO stop would stay there still. The 51 will still be stopping there as well.

It's a bit of a hike for folks on the 200/Ion, though. I would think GO would want to be near the most possible riders.
New station analysis

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/boa...sis_EN.pdf
Still nothing about Cambridge. The Breslau Station would be awesome for the area!

I heard from someone inside GO (who is a pretty reliable source), that Cambridge is in the works. Unfortunately, it was a quick conversation and I did not get much more. I read that the main issue is the relationship with the freight owner of the rail line CP(?). Fingers crossed for Cambridge.
The Breslau station would be awesome, but I have to think its 5-10 years away at the earliest. Like most of the promised things for Breslau it'll probably depend on the next phases of subdivision being well on their way.
I think ten years would be very optimistic for Breslau. I think it would be a good idea, but I would imagine that many of those 50 would be much higher on the list than Breslau, including most of those identified on the Kitchener line.

The busiest GO stations seem to be the "Park and Ride" ones. Adding a "Park and Ride" to the Region I think is a no-brainer since both Guelph and Kitchener have limited parking at the stations.
Additional stations west of Georgetown will probably be tied into service increases. A station at Breslau is going to be of limited use with two trains a day in the wee hours.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »