Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(07-23-2020, 10:43 AM)jamincan Wrote: Wasn't it considered and they decided not to accommodate it?

I can't recall for sure if electrification was under consideration but they did consider widening the span to allow for another track or two for future expansion. That widening was turned down.

(07-23-2020, 01:23 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 12:06 PM)clasher Wrote: I thought the whole freight bypass thing the Ford gov't cancelled was supposed to make it easier to electrify the whole line?

Nope. Not at all. Only supposedly less expensive to implement #2WADGO. It actually makes it harder to do it as electrified rail because of continuing to share tracks with CN.

Another supposed reason was because it would let them do it sooner than what the Liberals promised, but no timelines coming out of Metrolinx have change from the Wynne government promises.

Indeed, it was never about better, it was about "cheaper" and allegedly faster.

The faster is dubious, there are zero timelines, and even if everything went right from now on, I don't believe they could do it before 2025 which was the liberals target too...of course, whether the liberals would hit their target, I don't know.

There's a reasonable argument to be made about tradeoffs, whether the bypass was worth it.

But I think it's really really hard to justify electrification when you will still need dual mode locomotives with a short section in the middle missing.

This is, frankly, the problem I have with most consevative party supporters, I certainly don't agree with the policies the liberals implement all the time, I think there are things we waste money on, things that could be done better, like not building a new highway 7, but I do not see the conservatives as doing any better in this regard, they generally just trade slightly worse short term and much worse long term for slightly cheaper.  That trade off is only worth it when it can be far faster and vastly cheaper, something I never see from any government.  And if they really wanted to talk about wasteful anti-conservative spending, we wouldn't be building highway 7...</rant over>
(07-23-2020, 01:30 PM)Chris Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 10:43 AM)jamincan Wrote: Wasn't it considered and they decided not to accommodate it?

I can't recall for sure if electrification was under consideration but they did consider widening the span to allow for another track or two for future expansion. That widening was turned down.

Ah, yeah, that's what I was thinking of.
(07-23-2020, 10:41 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 06:16 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
The plans also need to work around 10 bridges and overpasses. Only two of those will need special attention, including the Margaret Avenue bridge. Metrolinx said it may need to lower the track and make other modifications at that bridge.

I guess electrification wasn't considered when they rebuilt the Margaret Ave bridge!

That said, this is good news, even if partial electrification is less than ideal.

That was one of my first thoughts too. We just finished the bridge not long ago. I wonder what all needs to be done to make it GO worthy?
(07-23-2020, 01:23 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 12:06 PM)clasher Wrote: I thought the whole freight bypass thing the Ford gov't cancelled was supposed to make it easier to electrify the whole line?

Nope. Not at all. Only supposedly less expensive to implement #2WADGO. It actually makes it harder to do it as electrified rail because of continuing to share tracks with CN.

Another supposed reason was because it would let them do it sooner than what the Liberals promised, but no timelines coming out of Metrolinx have change from the Wynne government promises.

Well dang. I guess there's no way around the shared tracks short of building a whole new line somwhere which doesn't really seem all that easy around here.
(07-23-2020, 03:06 PM)clasher Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 01:23 PM)Bytor Wrote: Nope. Not at all. Only supposedly less expensive to implement #2WADGO. It actually makes it harder to do it as electrified rail because of continuing to share tracks with CN.

Well dang. I guess there's no way around the shared tracks short of building a whole new line somwhere which doesn't really seem all that easy around here.

If building something new isn't all that easy, then we have bigger problems than transit.

The thing is building new things is really easy, if the political will is there, see the new highway 7 (which, yes, I realize has been promised for years, but is still being built right now).  This drives me absolutely insane, we are going through this whole process, building business cases, etc.

But for building a brand new freeway, if MTO says it, well, open the flood gates to the slush fund, no justification, no evaluation, no business case needed.

It doesn't even matter which is more controversial...I don't think anyone anywhere is, on principle, against improving GO service, but plenty oppose expanding the highway, so only one of these things is controversial.

And no, there is no way around those tracks without building new tracks, we CN has private property rights, and is unlikely to just give up their core business in southern Ontario so that we can run electric passenger trains because we ask nicely.

Like I said, I assume the plan right now is to run dual mode locomotives...which are...a thing which technically works but just seems really wasteful.

Of course, metrolinx hasn't answered this yet...frankly, given how political metrolinx is being run right now, I wouldn't put it past them for the unspoken policy to be to back the future government into a shitty corner where they can't even run electric trains on that section.
(07-23-2020, 03:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Like I said, I assume the plan right now is to run dual mode locomotives...which are...a thing which technically works but just seems really wasteful.

Are dual-mode locomotives really that wasteful? I think they should be much simpler than a plug-in hybrid car, as the current locomotives (such as the MP54) are diesel-electric anyway, so you already have the electric motors, and are really just adding the capability to power the motors from the catenary, rather than a diesel generator.

A PHEV car, on the other hand, needs both a conventional and an electric powertrain. (However, IIRC, the BMW i3 range extender was a gasoline-powered generator that would power the electric motors when the battery ran low.)

I think the other thing to consider other than the dual mode locomotives being potentially more wasteful is that we can run less trains if sharing CN tracks, and that GO Trains will always have to yield to CN trains since they own the tracks, resulting in potential delays and inconsistent schedules. And of course headway will be limited by the amount of dual-mode locomotives available to run on the line. I somehow doubt that GO Transit will be purchasing more dual-mode locomotives just to run to K/W, and if they did, it seems like a poor investment to be purchasing new (partly) diesel powered locomotives in 2020, considering that they will probably be in use for decades to come.
One major operational consequence of dual-mode vs. EMUs is that the dual-mode's have much lower acceleration.
(07-23-2020, 04:58 PM)jamincan Wrote: One major operational consequence of dual-mode vs. EMUs is that the dual-mode's have much lower acceleration.

EMU is a whole other dimension, though, is it not? It would require also replacing all the bilevel passenger cars that GO has standardized on.
(07-23-2020, 04:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 03:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Like I said, I assume the plan right now is to run dual mode locomotives...which are...a thing which technically works but just seems really wasteful.

Are dual-mode locomotives really that wasteful? I think they should be much simpler than a plug-in hybrid car, as the current locomotives (such as the MP54) are diesel-electric anyway, so you already have the electric motors, and are really just adding the capability to power the motors from the catenary, rather than a diesel generator.

A PHEV car, on the other hand, needs both a conventional and an electric powertrain. (However, IIRC, the BMW i3 range extender was a gasoline-powered generator that would power the electric motors when the battery ran low.)

Caveat, I have no railway experience of any kind.  But compared with an electric locomotive, a dual mode locomotive has an entire diesel power unit extra that must be purchased and maintained, that’s a lot of machinery we wouldn’t otherwise need to buy. Yes, not necessarily much worse than a standard diesel electric unit, but much worse than a straight electric unit.
The advantage to my mind is that a mostly-electric network means that GO can run EMUs on large portions of the network (eg, Bramalea-Union, Oakville-Union-Oshawa) and dual-mode locomotives on all of it. It's not the all-electric ideal, but it builds towards it.
Here's a link to a Metrolinx page for the project: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/engag...ridor-tpap

Is there any reason why the CN-owned part of the line can't be electrified while still allowing CN's diesel locos?

(07-23-2020, 02:46 PM)jeffster Wrote: That was one of my first thoughts too. We just finished the bridge not long ago. I wonder what all needs to be done to make it GO worthy?

Doesn't seem like much...

Coke
(07-24-2020, 01:35 AM)jwilliamson Wrote: Is there any reason why the CN-owned part of the line can't be electrified while still allowing CN's diesel locos?

I think there are regulations around proper grounding and stray voltage avoidance. This is particularly an issue for taller stock, like double-stack containers, which I think CN sometimes brings through here.

While that might be surmountable on a practical level, I think that CN would prefer to avoid any such complications and will flatly veto any proposal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »