Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(07-18-2019, 10:02 AM)SammyOES Wrote: This is awesome.  I don't understand why stuff like this doesn't happen more often.

Like partner for a Jays game.  Or pick a day in the summer when you can take the train and spend an afternoon downtown.  And so on.  Just like any effort at all to grow the base of people using GO.

I think all transit agencies could benefit from this. GRT has done it a few times.  They regularly run more buses to Elmira for the Maple Syrup Festival, and they also (tried) to coordinate and run extra service around Canada Day when the LRT launched.

But really, this should happen for basically every big event.

I thought GO had done this before as well, for the CNE, maybe?
I know that they do with some regularity on the Lakeshore West line (there were quite a few extra trips during the Pan Aam games, for instance). Have they don't it before here? I don't recall the CNE trips.
They have run extra trains on the Kitchener Line for the CNE, but those trips did not terminate at Kitchener Station: https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...nd-1031239.
I had a group of 3 parishioners knock on door inviting me to this conference in Toronto. They asked if I would be needing transportation and how many people would be traveling with me. I am kinda interested to see how this works out. I will not be attending but I wonder how many people people do vs how many people said they would (blowing up expectations)
Construction has apparently begun on the tunnels under the 401 and 409 for expanded Kitchener line GO service.

Completion in 2021, I assume this doesn't really relate to Kitchener service.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5226158
The work started five months ago, it seems the Ford regime needed a feel-good press conference so decided to announce a project already well under way...

(07-26-2019, 06:38 PM)KevinL Wrote: The work started five months ago, it seems the Ford regime needed a feel-good press conference so decided to announce a project already well under way...

Citation?  Ground had been broken?  It wasn't just utility work or something?

If so, our media really needs to get their act together.  I mean, I know this was Liberal planned work, its like "look, we didn't cancel everything", but if this already began...goodness.
That's the consensus of Facebook comments I've seen on the matter.
Rumours on UrbanToronto about a new peak train trip and a few off peak trips coming to Kitchener this fall.

We'll see when the fall schedules are announced how substantiated these are, but my experience with the poster suggests a certain level of credibility.
A new afternoon and evening train would be excellent. A modest improvement on speed would be excellent news, too...
Awesome stuff!

The 6:00pm from Union will now run express to Bramalea, saving twenty minutes for Kitchener riders.

The 953pm train is probably almost the best case for getting back home for me after weekday meetings in Toronto. It gets me home at midnight vs 10:30pm but it's an hour less of driving. Maybe I'll try it in September.

Good to see more service in general and I'll add it to the mix of transportation options, especially in combination with the 30. Weekend service is more important at this point than adding more middle-of-day train trips.
It's a bit ridiculous not to have any weekend service. Look, even in the presser on the Kitchener line upgrades they talk about going to see "a show or a game."

Nice to see some grinding down of the travel times.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »