Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(01-30-2019, 07:43 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 04:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Standard train cars (and especially the bilevel coaches BBD builds for GO Transit) are much quicker delivery than bespoke LRT configurations. For the last order BBD built delivered about 100 cars to GO in 2018, and I believe the lead time was less than a year.

There's also the locomotive situation, but I would expect those are fairly well standardized as well.

GO Transit is the biggest customer for the MPI MPXpress locomotives. There should be no real manufacturing challenges, just the order lead time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPI_MPXpress

Does anyone know why Metrolinx has not installed automated fare machines at the Kitchener Terminal, Sportsworld, and Cambridge yet? I took the 25 to Square One and the number of people who 1) Had to buy their ticket on the bus or 2) Had no idea where they were going was staggering and it made us 20 minutes late. 

They have them at the train station but they would only really ever get used before 7 am weekdays.

Most seem like they were going to Union Station but service in this area to downtown Toronto on the weekend is just abysmal. At least you can take the 30 to Bramalea and grab the GO train during the week.
(02-02-2019, 12:29 PM)Thenewsroom99 Wrote: Does anyone know why Metrolinx has not installed automated fare machines at the Kitchener Terminal, Sportsworld, and Cambridge yet? I took the 25 to Square One and the number of people who 1) Had to buy their ticket on the bus or 2) Had no idea where they were going was staggering and it made us 20 minutes late. 

They have them at the train station but they would only really ever get used before 7 am weekdays.

Most seem like they were going to Union Station but service in this area to downtown Toronto on the weekend is just abysmal. At least you can take the 30 to Bramalea and grab the GO train during the week.

The Charles St Terminal is intended to close as soon as ION service starts. They will likely install the kiosk at King/Victoria.
(02-06-2019, 01:06 PM)urbd Wrote: The Charles St Terminal is intended to close as soon as ION service starts. They will likely install the kiosk at King/Victoria.

Really? I was under the impression it's around until the new terminal gets developed. Or is it that the terminal will not be used by GO once ION starts?

Edit to add: I know it's being significantly reprioritized and not many busses will stop there, but are they closing the ticketing window and shuttering the building?
(02-06-2019, 01:18 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 01:06 PM)urbd Wrote: The Charles St Terminal is intended to close as soon as ION service starts. They will likely install the kiosk at King/Victoria.

Really? I was under the impression it's around until the new terminal gets developed. Or is it that the terminal will not be used by GO once ION starts?

Edit to add: I know it's being significantly reprioritized and not many busses will stop there, but are they closing the ticketing window and shuttering the building?

AFAIK Charles will not have GRT buses at it when the ION starts, but it will have intercity buses from Greyhound and Megabus (and probably GO).
It's a good question as to what GO will do at Ion launch; they now have zero setup at Charles beyond the platform itself, having taken ticketing at the booth away last summer. Without it as the city bus hub they may drop it entirely and just focus on King/Victoria.

So the Charles St terminal will essentially be a ghost town? Why not use it until it's ready to be sold off. Seems like a waste
I think for at least the GRT routes they are trying to have all transfer points at iON stations. Routing to the terminal adds unnecessary travel time and distance.
Although it is nicer to have a heated/sheltered place to wait for your transfer during the winter months.
I agree with the concept, but as a neighbour of what is going to be a ghost town, I'm frustrated.
(02-07-2019, 10:25 AM)Spokes Wrote: So the Charles St terminal will essentially be a ghost town?  Why not use it until it's ready to be sold off.  Seems like a waste

Use it for what? GRT buses will connect to Ion.

I agree with the other comment about heated waiting areas. This is actually a big fail in this city — even in obvious locations where it would be completely feasible to have waiting areas directly attached to or part of an adjacent buildings, we don’t do it. I’m thinking of the two bus stops on the west side of ring road, where the EV2 and QNC or STC buildings could have had a room or foyer, part of the building, with a large window facing in the direction where the buses come from. Downtown, with all the large tall buildings going up, could be similar.
We probably could have climate-controlled Ion stations if it hadn't been built so bare-bones.
ION stops have heaters so there will be some improvements along those lines.

I thought some iExpress stops might as well, but I know the relatively new shelter at Ottawa and Homer Watson (which is a 205 stop) isn't. There's a few hints that it's been suggested at least, but I can't see anything that explicitly confirms it is happening and I don't actually ride any iExpress busses frequently enough to know first-hand.

Edit: I can't find any explicit statements that ION stops are heated, so I'm probably wrong there, too. That kind of morning Smile

There were a select few ION stops which had push-on-demand heating in winter, but only a select few (maybe 4-6?)
(02-07-2019, 11:22 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: There were a select few ION stops which had push-on-demand heating in winter, but only a select few (maybe 4-6?)

Apparently most are wired for it though, which seems silly given that wiring is usually the most expensive part.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »