Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GO Transit
(07-12-2017, 03:04 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: I think there's research that preventing specific and easy suicide opportunities still reduces the number of suicides (so its not like everybody would just go find an alternative).  So maybe in some places there's something that should be done.

But, I still agree that the better use of money is focused on root causes and support.

Yes, I didn’t mean to suggest that no action would be reasonable, just that many possible actions would not be reasonable.

Same applies to non-suicide deaths, for that matter. At some point people are responsible for their own safety, and a property owner should not have liability for everything bad that happens near their property.
(07-12-2017, 02:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 01:03 PM)Canard Wrote: I see people walking on the tracks all the time near my house - it's disgusting.

Where? If you’re talking about the Spur Line, especially during the day, then it’s frankly a bit silly to claim that there is a safety problem with this.

If you’re talking about the mainline then I agree.

Once I took the kids to the old Cambridge station for photos. Before we got out of the car I told them very strictly that “this line is not like the one that goes past our house” and explained about speed and that we were all going to stay way back from the tracks. We were lucky enough to witness a quite long freight train moving at substantial speed with many different kinds of cars. Both fun to see for itself, and also a nice demonstration to the kids that their dad actually knows what he’s talking about, at least some of the time!

I am talking about the main line.

I've even seen impatient pedestrians cut through a train, between cars, while shunting. Death wish.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(07-12-2017, 04:21 PM)Canard Wrote:
(07-12-2017, 02:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Where? If you’re talking about the Spur Line, especially during the day, then it’s frankly a bit silly to claim that there is a safety problem with this.

If you’re talking about the mainline then I agree.

Once I took the kids to the old Cambridge station for photos. Before we got out of the car I told them very strictly that “this line is not like the one that goes past our house” and explained about speed and that we were all going to stay way back from the tracks. We were lucky enough to witness a quite long freight train moving at substantial speed with many different kinds of cars. Both fun to see for itself, and also a nice demonstration to the kids that their dad actually knows what he’s talking about, at least some of the time!

I am talking about the main line.

I've even seen impatient pedestrians cut through a train, between cars, while shunting. Death wish.

Wow. Don’t these people know that shunting is unpredictable? There is a reason they changed car coupler design to eliminate the buffers. And there are two tracks! You can’t always see what is happening on the other track. I can see why you have a low opinion of railway trespassing…
Does anyone know why GO's Bike Train, from Toronto to Niagara Falls, doesn't stop in Hamilton?

It has limited stops, but I would have thought Hamilton is a major enough point for picking up travelers... or dropping them off - Hamilton has lots of great cycling, too!
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
It'll probably only be on the table once they start running all trains to West Harbour. I'm not sure it's finished yet.
Possibly due to the through tracks not having platforms?
Hmm? I thought there were two stations in Hamilton:

-One where it goes straight through to Niagara
-One where the trains have to back up along a Spur track or something

Is that not the case?
The Niagara line goes through West Harbour GO.

West Harbour GO was built with only a single platform, on a line that did not continue through to Niagara, meaning that all services to Niagara could not stop there.

It's on the books to make that a through line, but they're taking their sweet time with it.
To clarify a little further, West Harbour is the shiny new station built a couple years ago to the north of downtown.

The other station is Hamilton GO Centre, which occupies a nearly century-old Art Deco facility smack in the middle of downtown. It also houses the main intercity bus terminal.

While Hamilton is a nicer station, it is not on the tracks to Niagara. Those tracks *pass through* West Harbour, but no platform for them has been built yet.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
Here's a link to Google Maps, that shows the platforms at West Harbour, and the track that just dead ends after them. (You'll have to turn off 3D)

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.266611,-7...!1e3?hl=en
There's one platform at West Harbour that sees maybe two trains a day. Hamilton GO Centre sees more, but is limited by CP's ownership of the former TH&B line; as we all know, they do not like traffic that isn't theirs. Their line crosses into the US at Fort Erie; there used to be CP trackage in Niagara but it was pulled up a few years back.
Is there a diagram anywhere that shows the track configuration? I appreciate your descriptions, but I still can't at all picture how Hamilton is set up, or why a Niagara-bound Toronto train couldn't stop in Hamilton.
(07-30-2017, 08:43 PM)Canard Wrote: Is there a diagram anywhere that shows the track configuration?  I appreciate your descriptions, but I still can't at all picture how Hamilton is set up, or why a Niagara-bound Toronto train couldn't stop in Hamilton.

This diagram explains the situation pretty well. Have they installed track to the second platform yet?

[Image: rejhon_go2_existing_tracks_at_west_harbour_go.jpg]
But why can't it stop at the other station then?
The other station is on the CP line, and in addition to CP wanting it clear for their traffic outside of peak period, the tracks go to Welland and Fort Erie, not Niagara.