Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(09-10-2016, 08:21 AM)Canard Wrote: ...and the follow-up from that meeting:

Biggest obstacle to improved GO service overcome - The Record

Excellent!

Well, it's not overcome until they actually build the bypass... So overcome in principle.
When it was first discussed in the Toronto Star last summer, the argument was that the Milton Line would benefit as well by letting CP divert their freight traffic north of Toronto on the same route. Anyone know if they're still part of the conversation?
(09-10-2016, 07:17 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: When it was first discussed in the Toronto Star last summer, the argument was that the Milton Line would benefit as well by letting CP divert their freight traffic north of Toronto on the same route. Anyone know if they're still part of the conversation?

I also have this question.  I think this *should* be an accommodation in the project, even if not built initially, because well, planning ahead.  Milton/Cambridge need better transit as well.
Ontario Adding GO Bus By-Pass Shoulders on Highway 401

I'm very curious how this will be done! Sounds like it will just be short segments here-and-there where typical backups occur. I'm all for this. Maybe it'll also stop the douchebags who pass on the shoulder when things back up and ride from on-ramp to on-ramp, too, since they might fear they'll get creamed by a bus.
Ontario Adding GO Bus By-Pass Shoulders on Highway 401

I'm very curious how this will be done!  Sounds like it will just be short segments here-and-there where typical backups occur.  I'm all for this.  Maybe it'll also stop the douchebags who pass on the shoulder when things back up and ride from on-ramp to on-ramp, too, since they might fear they'll get creamed by a bus.

This particular Go-Bus By-Pass will run easterly from Regional Road  25 to Hwy 407.

"By the end of next month, Highway 401 eastbound between Regional Rd. 25 in Milton and the Highway 401/407 interchange will have the new by-pass shoulder segments. They will remain in place until the upcoming Highway 401 expansion occurs, which includes the construction of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes in both directions."

P.S. Don't know how my little addition merged with Canard's ??
Yes but it says in segments. So I'm curious how and where they'll start and stop, specifically. Basically I want to see technical drawings and details. Smile

Ontario is building a new GO bus storage and maintenance facility in Kitchener. The new facility will accommodate up to 20 single GO buses, and will replace the current leased bus storage space. The new facility will be located along the Kitchener rail corridor, which was identified in June for GO service expansion. The announcement doesn't say what the facility will cost.

Here's the presser: https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/10/o...erloo.html
This isn't properly 'new' news - when the new rail facility was announced for Shirley they said it would get a bus facility too.
Where are they stored now?
They are stored at Great Canadian's facility.
Breslau (Greenhouse Road) GO Station Update

Recommendation:
That the Regional Municipality of Waterloo take the following actions regarding the development of a new GO Station at Greenhouse Road, Breslau in the Township of Woolwich:
(a) Endorse the location of the GO station as identified in Attachment “B” to Report PDL-CPL-16-48.
(b) Request the Ministry of Transportation and Metrolinx to fully fund all costs associated with the new GO station as part of the Regional Express Rail 10-Year Program.
© Forward Report PLD-CPL-16-48, dated November 1, 2016, to Metrolinx, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, and the Township of Woolwich.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Wow, at Greenhouse Road? That's totally not where I imagined it would go. Curious to see how it turns out! Hopefully the road will be upgraded to support the increased traffic and a reasonably sized Park-and-Ride is considered. The lot downtown is full every day, so it's at (or past) capacity.

That's one of the locations laid out in the Kitchener GO expansion EA. There's a huge development proposed for that swath of land as well.
The map indicates a new connector might be built from the south of the tracks, connecting to Fountain, as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »