Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Kawasaki E231-500's!!  Can't wait!  My head is going to explode in a month when I'm there.

I think the new Cab cars look more like the NS VIRM's:

[Image: hvondelen-1319137838321.jpg]

I expect that we'll see new announcements about GO bus and rail service once the new layover facility on Shirley Ave is completed.
(02-29-2016, 01:10 PM)Canard Wrote: I think the new Cab cars look more like the NS VIRM's:

[Image: b578d7fcee5009717ee2e95c734bff66_XL.jpg]

Ooh, I have a weak spot for Dutch trains...
I have a rather embarrassing question to ask... for a guy who likes trains so much, I don't often ride them in Ontario. It's been a while since I last took the GO train out of Kitchener, and I can't remember - is the station staffed that early in the morning? What is the procedure for buying a ticket - can it be done online ahead of time? I seem to recall the last time I was there seeing a long line of folks still waiting to get their ticket, as the train rolled up. Anxiety galore! I don't have a PRESTO card.

Thanks in advance.
I believe there is a kiosk on the platform.
I don't believe you can buy online, but there should be an automated ticket vending machine on the platform.

You can order a Presto card online and have them mail it to you, doesn't cost anything extra compared to buying in person. With a Presto card you get a ~7.5% discount on everything GO transit.
Can you get the Presto card from the machine on the platform? (I don't have enough time before my trip to have it mailed)

The Kitchener GO Station does have a automated ticket vending machine that accepts debit/credit cards. Alternately, you can buy tickets at the window from 5:15-9:15 M-F or 8:00-1:00/3:30-7:40 Sa-Su. Alternately, PRESTO cards can be purchased at all GO Stations, cost $6, and require $10 to be loaded on initially.
Thanks - this is really helpful!

I'm going to take GO/UPX to the airport - $20.50 instead of almost $200 to park at Pearson (for the duration of my trip) or whatever it is that Waterloo Taxi charges. It's not immediately obvious what I have to do to transfer at Weston but I understand there may be 2 different kinds of Presto reader there, and I'll have to tap-off of GO, and tap-on to UPX.
That's a good way to get to Pearson -- if we only had all-day service (and weekend service), the current weekday service doesn't work for most of the flights I take. Maybe some day ...
Yeah, I just happen to have a flight that's "close enough" to make it work out. I'll be marooned at the airport for a couple more hours than I'd like, but it'll be ok.

I checked out the platform this morning and yeah, the automated vending machine is going to be the easiest, for sure.
You can also buy a Presto card at the Charles bus terminal; they have better hours than the train station, I believe.
If you have a couple hours to spare, go all the way to Union and check out everything that's happening there! I think you can even check in at the UPX station at Union, afaik. (actually, a brief search didn't turn up anything, so maybe not?)

Expanded GO bus service to Cambridge (i"ll admit I didn't even know that the GO bus had a route to Cambridge) .

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/652064...-september
The 25 stops at SmartCentres on Hespeler road, which counts!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »