Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
(02-26-2016, 01:34 PM)Canard Wrote: Better than nothing for those in Bramalea, yes. For us: no change at all.

I disagree. The more demand/usage there is on that section the more likely they are to extend it, imo.

(02-26-2016, 01:49 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I'll be shocked and amazed (and incredibly pleased) if we see regular and frequent GO train service to Waterloo Region within the next 20 years.

I realize there are hurdles to overcome, but nothing that political will can't overcome. I too like Wynne, but I don't see any government changing the current situation for a very long time.

I think we'll see something much faster. The large and growing tech sector here is something that Governments are going to want to keep catering to. There's a lot of jobs and money involved. I also don't think the 401 can keep growing and keeping up with the traffic volumes over the next 20 years if nothing changes.

So hopefully those two things combined end up helping us out a lot.
(02-26-2016, 01:49 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I'll be shocked and amazed (and incredibly pleased) if we see regular and frequent GO train service to Waterloo Region within the next 20 years.

I realize there are hurdles to overcome, but nothing that political will can't overcome. I too like Wynne, but I don't see any government changing the current situation for a very long time.

I don’t like Wynne, but the current government does seem pretty committed to transit, and I expect we’ll continue to see incremental improvements in service- it’s good news for us that Brampton gets two-way and weekend service, it’s one step closer to building a case for the same service on the rest of the line. Waterloo will get a couple more daily trains, then a few trains on the weekend, then two-way service, then all-day service. Who knows on timing exactly, but it won’t happen overnight, and it will happen in many steps.

SammyOES, I think you’re right that the 401 won’t be able to keep up, and transit is going to have to accommodate some of the traffic.
I look forward to the Saturday trains to Brampton, as progress if nothing else. Hopefully they will have connecting buses to Kitchener, which is a service I can see myself using; hopefully ridership there will help prompt the further extension of rail service.
I agree that the current government is far more pro-transit (one of the key reasons I like them) than past or likely alternative governments, I'm not holding my breath though.

I think the response to the region's forthcoming request for funding for the transit hub will be quite telling as to how dedicated this government is to transit outside of the GTHA.

On a related note, I cannot continue on in ignorance. What precisely is meant by "two-way" service? I mean, is there only one way service now?

I lived in (well, near) a city in England which was of a similar size to K-W and oh how I wish we could have a similar inter-city rail system. The town I lived in was about the size of Stratford, ON and about a 20 minute drive to the city. There were easily 15 trains a day between the two, right up until about midnight. And from the city station, you could get to every other city in the UK.

I realize it's a pipe dream to wish for that here, but our goal should be something akin to that, certainly here in southern Ontario.
It's currently peak period, peak direction. Two way would have trains going both ways at all time.
When people talk about "two-way" service, it usually refers to rush-hour service.  And more generally, an idea that "when trains are running, they go both directions".  GO only offers you trips inbound in the morning, an 8 hour gap, and then outbound in the afternoon.  It's true that VIA offers some additional trip times, but they're scattershot, not intuitive, and they still don't meet the criteria of "trains in both directions at the same time".

In short, the current assumption is that you live in KW and work in Toronto. Two-way will allow people who live in Toronto to work in KW.
(02-26-2016, 04:42 PM)timio Wrote: Two way would have trains going both ways at all time.

No. GO transit consistently makes a distinction between two-way and all-day. In the case of Kitchener, they are talking, in the long term of two-way all-day, and they use exactly that phrasing.
Spotted one of the all-new Bombardier Bi-Level Cab Cars this morning at the Layover Facility!  First time I've seen one in person.  So sharp!

Good to have the old one next to it for contrast. Not only do drivers now have a larger window, it's also at a higher vantage point! Great for safety.
The higher position is the reason for the new cab cars to begin with - cuts down on the danger of a collision at a railway crossing similar to the Metrolink accident a few years back.
(02-27-2016, 11:33 AM)Canard Wrote: Spotted one of the all-new Bombardier Bi-Level Cab Cars this morning at the Layover Facility!  First time I've seen one in person.  So sharp!

The design reminds me of Japan, but I don't know why.

(02-28-2016, 12:55 PM)isUsername Wrote: The design reminds me of Japan, but I don't know why.

The forward windshield looks like a Power Ranger visor Tongue
(02-28-2016, 12:55 PM)isUsername Wrote:
(02-27-2016, 11:33 AM)Canard Wrote: Spotted one of the all-new Bombardier Bi-Level Cab Cars this morning at the Layover Facility!  First time I've seen one in person.  So sharp!

The design reminds me of Japan, but I don't know why.

This type of front-end design is quite common on the Japanese commuter trains.  Here is Yamanote Line, for example:
[Image: 2361_yamanote.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »