Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drinking Fountains
Is there a public drinking fountain anywhere in the Region of Waterloo?

In my exploration over the last few years, especially on hot days, I don’t believe I’ve ever come across one.

(07-02-2018, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: Is there a public drinking fountain anywhere in the Region of Waterloo?

In my exploration over the last few years, especially on hot days, I don’t believe I’ve ever come across one.

Sadly, I don't think they exist anymore. And it seems like they are pretty expensive to install and maintain, so we probably won't see them in the future.

I remember a few years back there being a program (Blue W) where local businesses could sign up to offer free water for filling bottles. I don't know if that exists anymore.
This has me remembering how good the water tasted in Kitchener before the recharge system was built.
(07-02-2018, 09:39 AM)timc Wrote: I remember a few years back there being a program (Blue W) where local businesses could sign up to offer free water for filling bottles. I don't know if that exists anymore.
It definitely still does; watch for that symbol by the door of coffee shops and small restaurants.
(07-02-2018, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: Is there a public drinking fountain anywhere in the Region of Waterloo?

The only ones I know of are in Kitchener City Hall by the washrooms.
(07-02-2018, 11:51 AM)Acitta Wrote:

The only ones I know of are in Kitchener City Hall by the washrooms.

If you want to include fountains at indoor public places there are probably nearly a hundred more in the city, basically every community centre, shopping malls often have something near the washrooms, sports facilities, all the other city halls, I'd argue the Universities are more or less open to the public, and every building there has fountains, I would guess the same would be true for some of the colleges as well.

But I think these are .... slightly different from having a fountain in a public park. Certainly the maintenance requirements have proven to be.

I haven't seen any public fountains in WR, although I have seen some in other places, I'm trying to remember where, I think maybe Stratford and also in St. Marys. But they certainly are rare.
If there are ones in all community centres that’s ok! I can just lock my bike outside and pop in I guess.

I just thought it was weird there aren’t any outside, as there are in other cities.

timc Wrote:Sadly, I don't think they exist anymore. And it seems like they are pretty expensive to install and maintain, so we probably won't see them in the future.

I remember a few years back there being a program (Blue W) where local businesses could sign up to offer free water for filling bottles. I don't know if that exists anymore.

The program still exists and there is a map of participating locations online.
http://www.bluew.org/
Perfect; thanks!
That map is pretty out of date... it still lists Ish & Chips on King St Waterloo, which burned down almost 6 years ago.
I think there's one in Waterloo Park, either around the zoo or the splash pad or maybe the bathrooms in between with the sings. Perhaps all three? There is infrastructure in all those locations already, so having a water fountain isn't much more of a burden.
(07-03-2018, 01:10 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I think there's one in Waterloo Park, either around the zoo or the splash pad or maybe the bathrooms in between with the sings. Perhaps all three? There is infrastructure in all those locations already, so having a water fountain isn't much more of a burden.

According to the City of Waterloo, there are no water fountains inside the Park.
It's been a while since I've been inside National Sports in Waterloo, but they had a fountain by the bathrooms last time I was there

There's a bottle fill station inside the new washrooms at Victoria Park.
Where are the "new washrooms"?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »