Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Shops | ?m | 3fl | Complete
The Shops
1 Willis Way, Waterloo
http://cushwakeretail.com/listings/one- ... wn-square/
Developer:
Project: Newest phase of a 241,000 SF mixed used commercial development in the heart of Uptown Waterloo. 85,000 SF office building to be built with ground floor retail fronting onto Willis Way and Caroline Street.

[Image: render.png]

Project brochure can be found here.

site plan
[Image: siteplan.png]

before

[Image: before.png]

It's nice to see Uptown getting some development that's not directly facing King St.
It certainly is! For me one of the nicest things about this project is that Caroline finally gets some attention.
Will they build more parking to replace the lost space though..
This makes complete sense given that the Caroline LRT station will be literally outside the front door.

It is nice to see we are starting to fill in some of the parking lots with new development.
jerryhung Wrote:Will they build more parking to replace the lost space though..

My guess would be no. And I don't think that's the worst thing in the world.

The rest of the lot will serve as a great deal of parking until it's inevitably developed (with underground parking is my guess)
jerryhung Wrote:Will they build more parking to replace the lost space though..

There always seems to be generally a lot of parking available on the far side of Caroline from King. I've never really had a trouble parking in the big lot anyways, except I guess during a big event.

Looks like this project is about to become reality. I would have liked to see some residential added at such a key location.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/595784...own-square
Incredibly disappointing and mediocre (as usual). 3 storeys, single use, immediately next to an ION station. Ugh.
Fencing is up and the area is blocked off, I would guess this gets going pretty soon. Should be a little bit of a nightmare for holiday season shopping, given the loss of parking and one more construction project and all that entails.
Occupancy in July! That is amazingly quick. One of the advantages of being only 3 storeys. Tenants will be moved in an just getting settled when the LRT starts running.
(10-14-2015, 09:44 AM)insider Wrote: Incredibly disappointing and mediocre (as usual). 3 storeys, single use, immediately next to an ION station. Ugh.

It's both office and retail, right? That's not single-use. I'm OK with that, personally. There's plenty more parking lots to be redeveloped, and 3 storeys that interacts well with the street is fine in my book.
(10-14-2015, 09:44 AM)insider Wrote: Incredibly disappointing and mediocre (as usual). 3 storeys, single use, immediately next to an ION station. Ugh.

You're disappointed by a mixed-use commercial/retail building with urban massing and streetscaping being built here?

The City of Waterloo's stubborn insistence on a 3 story cap is still there for Uptown, I see.
(10-15-2015, 07:30 AM)numberguy Wrote: The City of Waterloo's stubborn insistence on a 3 story cap is still there for Uptown, I see.

Oh, I don't know about that. The City approved a 14-storey tower right across from single family dwellings and adjacent to a mid-rise condo loft conversion, just a block away from "The Shops" (at 31 Alexandra Ave.).

Perhaps the City and the developer are worried about shadows on The Mall or on the The Verdant and Vibrant Public Square.

In light of the persistent "For Sales" at The Alexandra School Lofts, the residents there might wish any stubborn resistance by the City were retroactive.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »