Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District
(12-30-2018, 09:31 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: If you review this thread, you will see mostly negative comments.  From the faux industrial look to the number of floors, to not saving the ugly old precast contrete siding of the former Sears building.  I am going against the grain here and will say this, I hope this project ends up looking the renders,  I welcome it and think it will end up being very nice..

Give the project a chance please...

I like the renderings and hope it ends up as advertised. Fairview Park Mall has a huge ugly parking lot, and needed to be filled in a bit. Getting rid of the old ugly Sears Automotive building too is a plus. I don't see much downside to this improvement.

(12-30-2018, 09:31 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: If you review this thread, you will see mostly negative comments.  From the faux industrial look to the number of floors, to not saving the ugly old precast contrete siding of the former Sears building.  I am going against the grain here and will say this, I hope this project ends up looking the renders,  I welcome it and think it will end up being very nice..

Well. I'll admit it's an improvement. But it's still low density, with the only worthy architecture (whether we personally like it or not) to be demolished, and replaced by a faux-heritage smokestack. Oh well.

It's a mid-range suburban shopping mall - how much enthusiasm could one be expected to muster?   

What I find most interesting in the renders is the absence of Ion tracks ....
I get it, it isnt overly sexy however, I think there is a vision there and if it is done correctly, I think it will end up being quite nice. The renders show promise and if you look at all the detail with cobble stone roadways and walkways, it will be nice. They want to make this more of a destination place, which I think they can achieve. And with it at the end/middle of ION line, it will be just that much better... Just my thoughts..
(12-31-2018, 11:47 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I get it, it isnt overly sexy however, I think there is a vision there and if it is done correctly, I think it will end up being quite nice. The renders show promise and if you look at all the detail with cobble stone  roadways and walkways, it will be nice.   They want to make this more of a destination place, which I think they can achieve. And with it at the end/middle of ION line, it will be just that much better...  Just my thoughts..

I really think you're on the right track. I only see positives here. It will be nicer looking than either Conestoga or Cambridge Centre. It won't match the metropolitan feel that Yorkdale in Toronto has, but who are we kidding? We're not Toronto.

I'm looking forward to the groundbreaking.
(12-30-2018, 11:41 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 12:34 AM)razzie13 Wrote: Noticed on the webpage some updated renders. Along with some new tenants for the Sears building, namely Winners and Marks[Image: Fairview-Park-Aerial.jpg]

Also noticed was the new building across the street in front of Cineplex.

The WRX Property Group made the following information available on their December 12, 2018 blog:

"Cadillac Fairview (the owner of Fairview Park Mall, as well as the large lots around the mall and on the other side of Fairway Road South, where Cineplex, Indigo, and Party City stand) has plans in place to add 266,615 square feet of retail and office space, and a brand new parking garage with surface, deck, and underground capabilities, and electric charge stations."

The parking garage on the east side of Fairview Road may have some ground level retail or services. The parking garage appears to be in front of the Cineplex. The Grand Market District parking garage may well be pay parking before the mall opens as the LRT is so close.. By example, if you go to some CF malls they have gates with no entry until the mall opens with  security on  the gates before opening. 
There is a mention of the nonexistent but planned (?) apartments/condos.

"Aside from the parking garage, there will be two major additions: a four-storey building in the west, in the old Sears Hardware Store’s location, which will have 65,960 square feet of space; and a five-storey building in the east, nearer to the Conestoga Parkway, which will have 200,655 square feet of space."
So ION Phase 2 just doesn't exist in their world?

(01-01-2019, 12:23 PM)jamincan Wrote: So ION Phase 2 just doesn't exist in their world?

Perhaps they have inside information ...
(01-01-2019, 12:23 PM)jamincan Wrote: So ION Phase 2 just doesn't exist in their world?

Phase 1 doesn’t exist either — at least I don’t see the station or tracks in the image where they now are. As to Phase 2, I am assuming the tracks will veer off before the transition between buried and elevated electrical wires, meaning they wouldn’t be particularly salient in the image even if shown. At least I assume so. If they put the transition where future tracks will be going, then that was a stupid and absurd screwup.

I like it too.

I will say however, with all due respect to Winners and Marks, not exciting.  Although what should you expect from a mall, right?
(01-01-2019, 02:01 PM)Spokes Wrote:

I like it too.

I will say however, with all due respect to Winners and Marks, not exciting.  Although what should you expect from a mall, right?

Surprised to see Winners and Marks going there, seems odd being that their current locations are successful, and there is no way they'll keep both open.

Would have been nice if the word "Ikea" was in the rendering for signage....
A standard Ikea is too big for this location, and it's rare for them to co-locate with malls; they like a large property that they can buy for themselves (preferably on the cheaper side). If we ever get one, it won't be here.
I find it interesting the renders refer to it as "CF Grand Market District" — are they plannng on renaming Fairview Mall / wouldn't that affect the entire Ion line?

(01-01-2019, 12:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

Perhaps they have inside information ...

If you look closely to the render, you can see the entrance to the tunnels... Big Grin

Coke
Hey, if CF will pay for a grade separation, I'll take it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »