Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Site Funding
For what it's worth, Spokes, my front page to the site on desktop is always the "What's New" page. I never see content on the rest of the site, and therefore would miss any banners like the one mentioned above.

I really like the Amazon affiliate idea. Some sort of text link in line with posts saying something to the effect of "support the site by using WRC as an Amazon affiliate." It's clear what it is, doesn't really require anything from anyone, and it isn't terribly disruptive while still be noticeable to remind people. I'd recommend keeping the donation links as well.

(07-11-2018, 11:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for the feedback on the support image. Is it the image in particular you object to, or it's existence in general?

It's just the phrasing/design that I find troubling.
It doesn't read as specific to WRC, it doesn't say the name of the website, use the same font, the same colours, or even fit in the sidebar correctly.
It looks like it could be some kind of scam injected on to the site.
Whoah, I rarely visit the front page, and I just noticed that too - that's a big red flag.

Also +1 on the fundraising goal thingie - I just make a donation every now and then but have no idea how much I'm helping. I don't know if it costs $50 or $1000 a month to operate...
(07-11-2018, 11:20 AM)jamincan Wrote: For what it's worth, Spokes, my front page to the site on desktop is always the "What's New" page. I never see content on the rest of the site, and therefore would miss any banners like the one mentioned above.

I really like the Amazon affiliate idea. Some sort of text link in line with posts saying something to the effect of "support the site by using WRC as an Amazon affiliate." It's clear what it is, doesn't really require anything from anyone, and it isn't terribly disruptive while still be noticeable to remind people. I'd recommend keeping the donation links as well.

I like your idea of an in line text link .Good call!  Easy to do too.
(07-11-2018, 11:41 AM)Markster Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 11:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for the feedback on the support image. Is it the image in particular you object to, or it's existence in general?

It's just the phrasing/design that I find troubling.
It doesn't read as specific to WRC, it doesn't say the name of the website, use the same font, the same colours, or even fit in the sidebar correctly.
It looks like it could be some kind of scam injected on to the site.

Ya you're absolutely right. I just threw it together in 5 minutes last night, but it definitely does need to fit.
(07-11-2018, 12:28 PM)Canard Wrote: Whoah, I rarely visit the front page, and I just noticed that too - that's a big red flag.

Also +1 on the fundraising goal thingie - I just make a donation every now and then but have no idea how much I'm helping.  I don't know if it costs $50 or $1000 a month to operate...

Mybb doesn't have any plugins for an ongoing goal. So it would just have to be updated manually.  Which I'm happy to do, I just worry about what happens when it doesn't get updated for a couple weeks.  Is that an issue, do you guys think?

Also, do I just keep the goal at the bare minimum for operating costs?  I mean I'd like to eventually raise more so that a) there's a buffer if we're ever short and b) so things could eventually be upgraded (aka server, software, etc)

Thoughts?
Budget for what the site needs and use that as a target.

How are you paying for hosting? Is it based on traffic, or a fixed monthly rate?
Any organization is going to have goals. Budget for those goals and set your targets based on the goals.
I had always hoped we donated enough that you weren’t out of pocket at all and you just put it into a pot...
(07-11-2018, 10:07 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 06:49 AM)jeffster Wrote: I'm stilling going to suggest "Premium" memberships for people that donate. Talk is cheap, lot's of people do it. But few actually spring into action when needed. However, I feel that most members here are genuine people, would be more than happy to donate to an excellent site devoted to the going on's of the region. Where else can we find Ion updates on the fly? New developments? Places to eat. Entertainment. The list goes on.

Sure, we have our struggles now and then. Our disagreements. But you've done a great job at keeping the place civil. Keep up the great work.

Thanks jeffster!
I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm just not sure what the "premium" content is that donors would have access to.

I'm not sure they would get any sort of "Premium" content, other than perhaps not getting any info about donations. This is what Wikipedia does.

It also would add the word "Premium" or whatever you want, and I'll give you an example (this is from dslreports.com).

USERNAME
join: 2013-09-08
level: 4 loc:
Kitchener, ON
Premium Member
reviews: posts:
2327 online: Now!

Only paid members have "Premium Member" listed.

However, I was thinking about it more, what you could do is this: For the regulars who can't afford to donate, keep their username the same colour as any other unpaying member. However, if one donates (perhaps a minimum yearly), they could have an alternate colour.

As it stands now, you have a different colour, as do the mods. So adding a different a colour for paying members might work.
(07-11-2018, 06:53 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 10:07 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks jeffster!
I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm just not sure what the "premium" content is that donors would have access to.

I'm not sure they would get any sort of "Premium" content, other than perhaps not getting any info about donations. This is what Wikipedia does.

It also would add the word "Premium" or whatever you want, and I'll give you an example (this is from dslreports.com).

USERNAME
Kitchener, ON
Premium Member

However, I was thinking about it more, what you could do is this: For the regulars who can't afford to donate, keep their username the same colour as any other unpaying member. However, if one donates (perhaps a minimum yearly), they could have an alternate colour.
Regulars should donate. It can be a little 2 dollars or one dollar. If you can afford the internet, you can afford that...
(07-11-2018, 02:55 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: How are you paying for hosting? Is it based on traffic, or a fixed monthly rate?

It's a monthly rate

(07-11-2018, 05:57 PM)Canard Wrote: I had always hoped we donated enough that you weren’t out of pocket at all and you just put it into a pot...

That's always the goal.  In the past I've been ok with contributing too.  Some years the donations have covered the costs, others haven't.  Last year they were totally covered.
(07-11-2018, 06:53 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 10:07 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks jeffster!

USERNAME
Kitchener, ON
Premium Member

As it stands now, you have a different colour, as do the mods. So adding a different a colour for paying members might work.

Oh ok, I was thinking you meant offering different content for premium members, thus an insentive to donate.

The colour method would work.  Not getting notified about donations might be harder.  There doesn't seem to be an option to exempt certain members from the announcements.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »