Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Woodside Terraces | 6 fl | U/C
Has the extension been approved?

The floor plans are a bit different - tiny LRs, but bedrooms that seem larger than a lot of new construction.

The current building permits are only for the interior renovations.
(08-07-2018, 11:39 AM)tomh009 Wrote: They are now leasing this project, so presumably the completion of phase 1 (the renovation of the existing structure) is not far away:
http://woodsideterraces.ca/

One-bedroom units are priced in the low $1200s/month, with two-bedroom units at $1375/month.  Pricing seems reasonable, about 15% below Trio on Belmont for a 2BR unit in spite of being closer to downtown.

Utilities appear to be the tenant responsibility:

"Water, heat and hydro are sub-metered to promote smart energy consumption"

Not sure how that compares to the Trio rents noted above if utilities are in or separate.
Trio includes water and heat; electricity not included (I think Trio, like this one, has individual AC units so electricity will be the biggest cost).
Trio also has in-suite laundry, which is a pretty major selling point to some people (me included).
Woodside does not, since it is apparently really expensive to retrofit into a building that wasn't built for it.
Do you know what laundry facilities it does have?

A building I lived in in California had a laundry room on each floor. This seemed to be a really good trade off with in suite vs basement. Saving the elevator trip was a really big deal, and sharing the machines with only a few other people on your floor meant that it was usually free. Plus you still had the advantage of being able to do two loads at once. But I've never seen a similar configuration here before.
Windows and balconies are now installed on Woodside Terrace phase 1. It appears some people have already moved in.

(09-08-2018, 02:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Windows and balconies are now installed on Woodside Terrace phase 1. It appears some people have already moved in.

I'm still wondering about the partial painted bricks -- were these testing that colour or something?
Interesting that some of the balcony are glass and some are bars. I'm guessing the wooden stairs are only temporary?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-08-2018, 07:25 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 02:52 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Windows and balconies are now installed on Woodside Terrace phase 1. It appears some people have already moved in.

I'm still wondering about the partial painted bricks -- were these testing that colour or something?

At the end of the building? I think that wall is yet to be finished. Don't know what it will look like.
(09-08-2018, 08:37 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Interesting that some of the balcony are glass and some are bars. I'm guessing the wooden stairs are only temporary?

They decided to alternate the balcony railing materials. I wondered about that at first but I think it ended up looking quite good.

The stairs are pretty nicely done wooden stairs that don't look all that temporary so they might be staying. It's a bit surprising though!
There is a meeting tomorrow night about the zoning amendment for the addition.

The part of the proposed amendment about reduced parking requirements was withdrawn after neighbourhood concerns and staff intervention.

The urban design brief can be found on page 26 of the agenda.

I guess this answers the question about the stairs. The main entrance will be closer to highland when the project is finished:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Thanks! That makes sense now, they are temporary  but probably for a few years until the next phase is built.

In this particular case, no real complaints about shadows or the character of the neighbourhood. 80% of the complaints are about on-street parking by building residents (already in the past, too) and the remainder about poorly aimed security lights.

My vote is to ban on-street overnight parking to eliminate the parking issue.

(09-09-2018, 10:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: My vote is to ban on-street overnight parking to eliminate the parking issue.

Cities often allow on-street overnight parking by residents. I'm not sure it's something that K-W should generally ban. But I've been reading books about parking, and it may be the case that the best practice is to have resident parking permits and ban people who live in parking-free buildings from getting these permits.
Or ban people who have space for two vehicles (garage+driveway). I remember a Cambridge household in the paper that was expecting the city to accommodate their 5 cars, without requiring them to even use their garage.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »