Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Woodside Terraces | 6 fl | U/C
Woodside Terraces
270 Spadina St, Kitchener
http://vivedevelopment.com/property/woodside-lofts/
Developer: Vive Developments
6-floor residential development

Render:
[Image: spadina-2-1024x631.jpg]

Apartment on Spadina with new owner hoping to clean up and rejuvenate the building, I used to live right near this building and I am glad work is on the table. Sounds like they are having some difficulty with at least one tenant.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/715634...t-building

Progress on 270 Spadina:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The redevelopment of 270 Spadina Rd E has been branded Woodside Terraces.

And it looks like they are adding a completely new wing to the building.
[Image: spadina-2-680x419.jpg]
[Image: spadina-1-680x419.jpg]
(05-20-2018, 10:46 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The redevelopment of 270 Spadina Rd E has been branded Woodside Terraces.

Something needs to be done about that ghastly corner though...even a green space until someone develops it...
(05-20-2018, 11:27 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 10:46 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The redevelopment of 270 Spadina Rd E has been branded Woodside Terraces.

Something needs to be done about that ghastly corner though...even a green space until someone develops it...

It is contaminated. Has to cleaned up.

I think this should be a nice mid-market building when it's done. I don't see any signs of construction for the new wing yet, so I suspect that will be a second phase.

This is another Vive Development (Stephen Litt) project, they have been quite active in rebuilding mid-rise buildings in the area.
http://vivedevelopment.com/properties/

Time for a dedicated thread for this project ...

Ironic that it is named Woodside Terraces, but they will have to cut down a large majority of the mature trees on the site, and it doesn't seem to have any terraces.

Does the subdividing of the original building in to more, smaller units change the existing parking requirements?

I wonder how they will meet the additional parking requirements of the new addition? New parking garage in behind? There is already a ~45 space surface lot off of Lansdowne Ave W and I think a small underground lot off of Spadina?
(05-22-2018, 08:02 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Ironic that it is named Woodside Terraces, but they will have to cut down a large majority of the mature trees on the site, and it doesn't seem to have any terraces.

Well, 'Woodside' is a name for the neighbourhood, so they get away with that one.
(05-22-2018, 08:02 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Ironic that it is named Woodside Terraces, but they will have to cut down a large majority of the mature trees on the site, and it doesn't seem to have any terraces.

Does the subdividing of the original building in to more, smaller units change the existing parking requirements?

I wonder how they will meet the additional parking requirements of the new addition? New parking garage in behind? There is already a ~45 space surface lot off of Lansdowne Ave W and I think a small underground lot off of Spadina?

The building permit summary doesn't specify any additional parking. There is probably some additional space on the property for surface parking, too. Or they might be able to rent the former gas station property (demolished in 2002!) for additional parking.

I am certain the new units will be much nicer than the old ones, but almost half the size (103 units rather than 61), so hopefully the new ones will still be relatively affordable.
It's a pretty thorough renovation -- it looks like everything bar the concrete is getting replaced. One thing of note is that the building has concrete walls between units, whereas new condo and apartment buildings typically have drywall only. This should provide better sound insulation.

Friends of mine moved into a new condo in Ottawa that has concrete walls between units. The place is quiet as a tomb, although when their dog barks, people a couple of units away can apparently hear it - the sound seems to pass through the air venting.
All of the concrete balconies and rebar within were also replaced.

(05-29-2018, 01:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Friends of mine moved into a new condo in Ottawa that has concrete walls between units.  The place is quiet as a tomb, although when their dog barks, people a couple of units away can apparently hear it - the sound seems to pass through the air venting.

Looks like some independent air conditioning per unit on this one. 

Might be an air return system or something the dog barks transfer through at your friends place.  And dogs can bark pretty loud and at a frequency that carries differently than normal conversation.  (lot of dogs in my area and I hear 'em all the time).
They are now leasing this project, so presumably the completion of phase 1 (the renovation of the existing structure) is not far away:
http://woodsideterraces.ca/

One-bedroom units are priced in the low $1200s/month, with two-bedroom units at $1375/month. Pricing seems reasonable, about 15% below Trio on Belmont for a 2BR unit in spite of being closer to downtown.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »