Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bright Building (749 King St W) | 18 + 3 fl | U/C
My point was that for the region sustain its growth and develop viable neighbourhoods and streetscapes it could do with a few less towers and a lot more mid-rises. Too many tall towers too quickly could stall longer-term growth. Plus, in bigger buildings you don't get to know your neighbours as well.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(05-14-2018, 09:24 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 08:23 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: My first though is that this literally sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I remember that almost directly across the street already has a 12(?) story building.

Why are there so many larger tower developments and so few mid-sized developments (Red, Cortes, 42)? Is it not economically viable with the zoning/parking restrictions? I'd much rather see 3 buildings of 6 stories each all along King than 1 tall one.

Perhaps knowing the push back they'd get they have purposely asked for more so the have room to "compromise" and get what they really want?

I think this part of "mid-town" has been designated for taller buildings. You'll eventually see plans coming up the street towards Waterloo as well (Sunlife parking lot).  And there is indeed a very large 12-story building across street, my uncle used to live in there, before he passed away. So no sore thumbs, plus not that far up the street is Sunlife, so they're close enough to start to blend.

Same developer as Breithtaupt, so this should be an interesting go.

not the same developer as breithaupt.....  Dodgy Huh perimeter group would never build this beast of a building...also they dont do res
Perimeter and Hip are two separate entities.

Towers have their place, but the more you want to tone down towers on King, the more you should also be dialing up intensification off King, in the neighbourhood associations. So far, none of these has shown themselves amenable to even the slightest new density, so the towers are indeed still appropriate (and honestly, along King, in close proximity to light rail stations, they should still be nearly without question).
Look at the opposition to the small tower on Walter Street, they had to change it a bunch to make it more palatable to the people there and it's a stone's throw from King Street. I'd like to see more small apartment buildings too, they are pretty nice and I suspect parking requirements make them harder to build than they should be.
This would be fantastic. Currently, Kings Tower sticks out like a sore thumb- having a new high-rise so close to it would be very appropriate. And new retail space along this part of King will hopefully attract high-quality amenities.
(05-14-2018, 08:23 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: My first though is that this literally sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I remember that almost directly across the street already has a 12(?) story building.

Why are there so many larger tower developments and so few mid-sized developments (Red, Cortes, 42)? Is it not economically viable with the zoning/parking restrictions? I'd much rather see 3 buildings of 6 stories each all along King than 1 tall one.

Perhaps knowing the push back they'd get they have purposely asked for more so the have room to "compromise" and get what they really want?

If I had to guess I'd be thinking that given the purchase price they're just taking advantage of the zoning to maximize profit. 

While I'm not in real estate, does it not make sense that a property already zoned for 25 floors would fetch a higher price than one zoned for 6?
(05-15-2018, 10:50 AM)MidTowner Wrote: This would be fantastic. Currently, Kings Tower sticks out like a sore thumb- having a new high-rise so close to it would be very appropriate. And new retail space along this part of King will hopefully attract high-quality amenities.

I'd be happier if new "Midtown" development west of SIXO and Google Phase 3  were in the 6-10 storeys range.  I find this one too tall for the location.

Whereas I find it a nice place for density. The neighbourhoods in our cores always speak against density, so if we're going to have it anywhere, it makes the most sense where there are far fewer neighbours. Things like Central Fresh, Mount Hope Cemetary, and the Grand River Hospital, as well as KCI, make for less impacted neighbours regardless of how highly or not you prioritize impacts.
I would characterize 6-10 storey buildings as fairly high density. Certainly it's more density than now. And generally I agree that mid-rise in Midtown is appropriate. But a few taller towers would serve to make the stretch more interesting: a uniform facade of anyone's favoured height is not going to be possible, so varied scales is probably desirable.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The Record has a story about this project. No new info, but another render.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/942...ed-height/
Interesting. I'd forgotten about this one
(06-05-2019, 07:04 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The Record has a story about this project. No new info, but another render.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/942...ed-height/

What does the article mean by "the mass and height of the building are oriented toward King St"?  The builiding is mid-block and fronts on King St.  Is it that there will be a parking lot behind the building or some such?  I'm not sure I understand why anything above 10 or 12 stories would be needed along King St between Wellington and Union.

I would imagine that is to point out that, although the lot stretches back to Walter, the building will be towards the King Street side of the site, and not adjacent to the houses behind it.

I can't see a huge difference between 12 storeys and 18, personally. My ideal King Street through midtown would be mid-rise buildings of nearly uniform heights consisting of street-fronting retail and office and residential above. That doesn't seem likely, and seeing as the municipality will approve 10 and 12 storey buildings, it doesn't bother me if a few of them are more like 20 storeys.

As long as they're mixed-use.
I would be happy to see a mix of heights, and, yes, a mix of uses. Not 30 storeys, but having some buildings at 15-20 is not an issue from my point of view.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »