Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hudson | 749 King St W | ?m | 18fl + 3fl
I love how the LRT rapidway is a place for people to congregate, walk their baby strollers, etc.
(05-14-2018, 12:51 PM)timc Wrote: I love how the LRT rapidway is a place for people to congregate, walk their baby strollers, etc.

It's a MUR!  (Multi-Use Rapidway …)  Big Grin
(05-14-2018, 12:51 PM)timc Wrote: I love how the LRT rapidway is a place for people to congregate, walk their baby strollers, etc.

Cuz that's the way it looks now. I can't imagine that changing for some time, even once the LRT gets going. The KCI kids like doing their chatting on the tracks. I could add other stuff, but I want to keep my warning level at 0%.
My first though is that this literally sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I remember that almost directly across the street already has a 12(?) story building.

Why are there so many larger tower developments and so few mid-sized developments (Red, Cortes, 42)? Is it not economically viable with the zoning/parking restrictions? I'd much rather see 3 buildings of 6 stories each all along King than 1 tall one.

Perhaps knowing the push back they'd get they have purposely asked for more so the have room to "compromise" and get what they really want?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-14-2018, 08:23 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: My first though is that this literally sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I remember that almost directly across the street already has a 12(?) story building.

Why are there so many larger tower developments and so few mid-sized developments (Red, Cortes, 42)? Is it not economically viable with the zoning/parking restrictions? I'd much rather see 3 buildings of 6 stories each all along King than 1 tall one.

Perhaps knowing the push back they'd get they have purposely asked for more so the have room to "compromise" and get what they really want?

I think this part of "mid-town" has been designated for taller buildings. You'll eventually see plans coming up the street towards Waterloo as well (Sunlife parking lot). And there is indeed a very large 12-story building across street, my uncle used to live in there, before he passed away. So no sore thumbs, plus not that far up the street is Sunlife, so they're close enough to start to blend.

Same developer as Breithtaupt, so this should be an interesting go.
My point was that for the region sustain its growth and develop viable neighbourhoods and streetscapes it could do with a few less towers and a lot more mid-rises. Too many tall towers too quickly could stall longer-term growth. Plus, in bigger buildings you don't get to know your neighbours as well.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-14-2018, 09:24 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 08:23 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: My first though is that this literally sticks out like a sore thumb, but then I remember that almost directly across the street already has a 12(?) story building.

I think this part of "mid-town" has been designated for taller buildings. You'll eventually see plans coming up the street towards Waterloo as well (Sunlife parking lot).  And there is indeed a very large 12-story building across street, my uncle used to live in there, before he passed away. So no sore thumbs, plus not that far up the street is Sunlife, so they're close enough to start to blend.

Same developer as Breithtaupt, so this should be an interesting go.

not the same developer as breithaupt.....  Dodgy Huh perimeter group would never build this beast of a building...also they dont do res
Perimeter and Hip are two separate entities.

Towers have their place, but the more you want to tone down towers on King, the more you should also be dialing up intensification off King, in the neighbourhood associations. So far, none of these has shown themselves amenable to even the slightest new density, so the towers are indeed still appropriate (and honestly, along King, in close proximity to light rail stations, they should still be nearly without question).
Look at the opposition to the small tower on Walter Street, they had to change it a bunch to make it more palatable to the people there and it's a stone's throw from King Street. I'd like to see more small apartment buildings too, they are pretty nice and I suspect parking requirements make them harder to build than they should be.
This would be fantastic. Currently, Kings Tower sticks out like a sore thumb- having a new high-rise so close to it would be very appropriate. And new retail space along this part of King will hopefully attract high-quality amenities.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »