Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion
(08-19-2018, 02:44 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There is a narrative growing about the two hospitals being too close to each other and too difficult to access throughout the region. I first encountered it from Mike Litt's controversial (mostly due to statements about the arts community) Globe and Mail article.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business...loos-tech/

He did propose specifically a teaching hospital, though. And in the context of making this a world-class city, similar to the provision of high-speed rail, so I take both of those as worthy long-term objectives.

Aissa wants to make an election issue out of that, though. In spite of the fact that the region has no power to establish a new hospital.

(08-19-2018, 06:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: He did propose specifically a teaching hospital, though. And in the context of making this a world-class city, similar to the provision of high-speed rail, so I take both of those as worthy long-term objectives.

Aissa wants to make an election issue out of that, though. In spite of the fact that the region has no power to establish a new hospital.

I'm in complete agreement. I think Aissa is likely pandering to Litt's audience by touching on the topic, and generally folks (I include myself here) don't have very clear understanding of whose responsibility such a thing would be. Aissa gets to say it will be a focus of his and there's a lot of people outside of Kitchener and Waterloo who would very reasonably think "yeah, another hospital with ready access for the townships would be great!"
(08-20-2018, 08:57 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-19-2018, 06:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: He did propose specifically a teaching hospital, though. And in the context of making this a world-class city, similar to the provision of high-speed rail, so I take both of those as worthy long-term objectives.

I'm in complete agreement. I think Aissa is likely pandering to Litt's audience by touching on the topic, and generally folks (I include myself here) don't have very clear understanding of whose responsibility such a thing would be. Aissa gets to say it will be a focus of his and there's a lot of people outside of Kitchener and Waterloo who would very reasonably think "yeah, another hospital with ready access for the townships would be great!"

A number of years ago I had lunch with UW President David Johnson and Vice President Amit Chakma and Johnson told me that he really wanted to see a teaching hospital in KW.  He thought it would fit in well between St. Mary's and Grand River Hospital.  He mentioned that several key ingredients were already in place, namely the School of Pharmacy, along with a branch of the School of Optometry and the Centre for Family Medicine.  Plus, Conestoga College has a nursing school.   The area around the School of Pharmacy has changed a lot since then so if KW got a teaching hospital I don't know where it would be built.  I suppose the old Uniroyal factory on Strange Street may be a possibility.
It’s one of those issues where the idea itself may have merit, but it needs to be championed by people who have some idea what they are doing. I’m certainly not opposed to a teaching hospital, and it may be a great idea. But the notion that somebody will be elected Regional Chair on a platform of opening such a hospital and will then go and do it is ridiculous. A serious Chair would support the studies and background needed to make it happen and work with the levels of government and other supporters who would actually do it. And would certainly not stir up resentment against the current set of hospitals.
I agree.
What in the world do they mean about building a teaching hospital? All of the local hospitals are already teaching hospitals in some capacity. If a medical school were to open here, they would take on that role in an even greater capacity.
(08-20-2018, 01:20 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 08:57 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm in complete agreement. I think Aissa is likely pandering to Litt's audience by touching on the topic, and generally folks (I include myself here) don't have very clear understanding of whose responsibility such a thing would be. Aissa gets to say it will be a focus of his and there's a lot of people outside of Kitchener and Waterloo who would very reasonably think "yeah, another hospital with ready access for the townships would be great!"

A number of years ago I had lunch with UW President David Johnson and Vice President Amit Chakma and Johnson told me that he really wanted to see a teaching hospital in KW.  He thought it would fit in well between St. Mary's and Grand River Hospital.  He mentioned that several key ingredients were already in place, namely the School of Pharmacy, along with a branch of the School of Optometry and the Centre for Family Medicine.  Plus, Conestoga College has a nursing school.   The area around the School of Pharmacy has changed a lot since then so if KW got a teaching hospital I don't know where it would be built.  I suppose the old Uniroyal factory on Strange Street may be a possibility.

I believe the uWaterloo (although it may be the City of Kitchener) owns the vacant land beside the School of Pharmacy. which could be the place to build the teaching building/hospital site for a Waterloo Region teaching hospital. Like St. Mike's in Toronto there is the opportunity to build the hospital up (a vertical hospital) on the King-Victoria location.  

The other option, I suggested, awhile back, was that a deal could be brokered with SunLife to build a new teaching hospital building that would take over the exterior ground parking for SunLife employees. It would be on King Street with two LRT stops available and make much better use of a parking lot. Underground parking, for both the teaching hospital and SunLife, could be part of the design build.

CBC had each candidate for Chair answer a five-question survey.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.4807139
(09-01-2018, 09:15 AM)KevinL Wrote: CBC had each candidate for Chair answer a five-question survey.

Thanks KevinL for bringing this to my attention.

Based on question 5, What do people need to know about you? I have ranked the four candidates from worst to best.

4 - Jay Aissa
     I would never vote for a candidate who only has business experience.  Government is not a business so Aissa has the wrong skill set.  Just look at Trump for an example.

3 - Robert Deutschmann
     He has some good ideas and would be a good regional councillor but not chair.  Also, I’m not too keen on voting for a lawyer.  I have in the past but I have  ‘trust’ issues with them.

2 - Jan d’Ailly
     He has experience beyond business and has good ideas.  He may get my vote.

1 - Karen Redman
     She has lots of experience in politics and public service.  However, her close ties to the Liberal Party makes me uneasy.  I usually vote left of centre.  So for me it’s a toss up between d’Ailly and Redman.
(09-01-2018, 09:15 AM)KevinL Wrote: CBC had each candidate for Chair answer a five-question survey.

One of the candidates had trouble counting to one, and listed three issues when asked for just the most important one. The same candidate who wants to reduce spending AND build more roads.

The other three candidates clearly prioritize social issues, including affordable housing and safe injection sites. It's quite the contrast.
What's the best way for figuring out who I should vote for?

I know its not going to be Aissa based on the LRT stuff but I don't really know what other candidates are actually going to do. Or if anybody who follows municipal politics closely has thoughts on good/bad candidates and why, I'm all ears. Smile

Edit: I skimmed through the CBC article, but I generally find those pretty meaningless. Nobody has to make a hard choice so almost everybody can sound great.
I assume you're talking about regional chair?
Yeah, Regional Chair.

Go grab some popcorn and get comfy...

Also for your viewing pleasure:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »