Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion
The race for Regional Chair should be interesting, given that all three candidates are all pretty moderate and are likely going to be running on similar platforms (my assumption, given their records). All three candidates also have a bit of name recognition (Karen Redman and Rob Deutschmann more so than Jan d'Ailly).

Thoughts on how this race will play out, assuming Jay Aissa doesn't enter?

Michael Harris, ex-Kitchener-Conestoga MPP, intends to run for a Regional Council seat in Kitchener. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/876...-comeback/
(07-24-2018, 05:46 PM)YKF Wrote: The race for Regional Chair should be interesting, given that all three candidates are all pretty moderate and are likely going to be running on similar platforms (my assumption, given their records). All three candidates also have a bit of name recognition (Karen Redman and Rob Deutschmann more so than Jan d'Ailly).

Rob seems to have released the most extensive platform document.  Karen Redman had some vision statements, but few specifics.  I didn't see anything specific from Jan d'Ailly.

Are there details I'm missing?
(07-24-2018, 10:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-24-2018, 05:46 PM)YKF Wrote: The race for Regional Chair should be interesting, given that all three candidates are all pretty moderate and are likely going to be running on similar platforms (my assumption, given their records). All three candidates also have a bit of name recognition (Karen Redman and Rob Deutschmann more so than Jan d'Ailly).

Rob seems to have released the most extensive platform document.  Karen Redman had some vision statements, but few specifics.  I didn't see anything specific from Jan d'Ailly.

Are there details I'm missing?
I don't think so. Jan d'Ailly's website just states "Campaign starts after nominations close."  I would think that he'll slowly start releasing some policy ideas/directions after Friday, along with Karen Redman.
It's interesting that Rob Duetschmann's website makes no mention of "holding the line" on tax increases, even in a lip service kind of way. He does say he wants to lobby the province/feds for a greater share of their tax revenues.
Wondering if Doug Ford's last-second hatchet job in Toronto will change anything here as he tries to justify it, like removing the Chair as an electable position (because if it doesn't make sense to elect chairs in Peel and York(?), where his political foes are likely to win, why does it make sense in Halton and Waterloo?), or why does it make sense to have a councillor for every 20,000 Kitchenerites, when one for every 60,000 Torontonians is too much, and should be closer to one for every 120,000 or so?
Looks like it's only in a few regions.

Dumpster fire.

The logic of having appointed Regional Chairs in some municipalities and elected chairs in others escapes me. Would appointed Chairs be "with voice but without vote" in terms of regional council decision making, I wonder?
KW isn't particularly loyal to one party, so I suspect that all parties are reluctant to upset the electorate here too much. I always figured that was one of the reasons that we didn't go through amalgamation, even partially, despite it making far more sense than some other places that did.
Jay Aissa is officially running for council chair again:

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regio...sting.aspx

*sigh*.
(07-27-2018, 11:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Jay Aissa is officially running for council chair again:

*sigh*.

Yippie....  I thought he we moving his business to Woodstock ?  makes it more fun though with listening to his dribble..
(07-27-2018, 11:42 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-27-2018, 11:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Jay Aissa is officially running for council chair again:

*sigh*.

Yippie....  I thought he we moving his business to Woodstock ?  makes it more fun though with listening to his dribble..

I've been well cured of the idea of enjoying terribly bad candidates as entertainment value.

They tend to win...

And yes, I plan to ask him about that at whatever debates there are....
Given the times we are in, I think it’s almost *guaranteed* that Jay Aissa will be elected Regional Chair, with Oberholtzer being elected in Waterloo.

Unless of course the Regional Chair no longer gets elected. Or the whole damn election gets called off. Who knows anymore.

(07-27-2018, 11:59 AM)YKF Wrote: Given the times we are in, I think it’s almost *guaranteed* that Jay Aissa will be elected Regional Chair, with Oberholtzer being elected in Waterloo.

Unless of course the Regional Chair no longer gets elected. Or the whole damn election gets called off. Who knows anymore.

Umm.  I am not as optimistic as you.  Jay was a one trick pony in the last election.  He made ridiculous statements.    I think Karen Redman brings a much more balanced approach with strong experience.
(07-27-2018, 11:59 AM)YKF Wrote: Given the times we are in, I think it’s almost *guaranteed* that Jay Aissa will be elected Regional Chair, with Oberholtzer being elected in Waterloo.

Incumbency is a pretty strong advantage in municipal politics, and Oberholtzer doesn't have any name recognition from previous politics. I think Sean and Jane will likely be re-elected.

Sadly for regional chair I agree with you. Without Ken Seiling's name recognition this will probably go to Jay Aissa. Karen Redman's name recognition is the only hope I have it won't.

Until Jay's registration I was actually just thinking that it's pretty nice we have three reasonable candidates for chair, any of whom I'd be pretty okay with. Now I think we'll get a three-way split of the sane vote.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »