Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion
Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion

Ken Seiling is retiring

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/859...of-region/
/\ NOOOO!!!

I was talking with him at my aunt's funeral a couple of months ago, and I kind of got the feeling this was going to be. Disappointed to learn my suspicions are now confirmed.
He has been instrumental in shaping the region and will be greatly missed by me.
He has been a excellent leader in our community, but not really surprising.

I suppose this will clear the way for councillors like Strickland, Redman, etc. to run for chair?

Hopefully they invite him back for the Ion opening as he was pretty instrumental in making that happen.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Jay Aissa is apparently running again...
(05-09-2018, 11:03 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Ken Seiling is retiring

Very sad (selfishly) to hear this, but he very much deserves to take a break.

The Record is reporting former Waterloo city councillor Jan d'Ailly is running for chair as well. d'Ailly is formally registered at the moment Aissa is not.

Redman is a maybe for chair, Strickland and Galloway are not running for chair. Former MPP Harris is a maybe as well. All three city mayors will not vie for the chair position.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Hmmm. Not getting excited about any of the announced candidates so far.
(05-10-2018, 07:38 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Jay Aissa is apparently running again...

This is why a ranked ballot should be used instead of first-past-the-post. It is appalling to consider that a divisive Trumpian like Aissa could win over a field of reasonable challengers. I shouldn’t have to guess which proper candidate is most likely to defeat him and vote for them; I should be able to vote for all the acceptable candidates and still give my preferred candidate a different vote from my less-preferred candidates.
I somehow thought that Berry Vrbanovic would run for Regional Chair, but I guess the article above rules that out.
(05-10-2018, 09:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 07:38 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Jay Aissa is apparently running again...

This is why a ranked ballot should be used instead of first-past-the-post. It is appalling to consider that a divisive Trumpian like Aissa could win over a field of reasonable challengers. I shouldn’t have to guess which proper candidate is most likely to defeat him and vote for them; I should be able to vote for all the acceptable candidates and still give my preferred candidate a different vote from my less-preferred candidates.

Agreed! I'm in a similar situation with the provincial election.  I hate voting against people rather than for who I really want.
Alas, ranked balloting (or other similar choices) not available at this point. So hopefully one strong candidate will emerge for regional chair.

As for the provincial election … ugh.

(05-11-2018, 09:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Alas, ranked balloting (or other similar choices) not available at this point. So hopefully one strong candidate will emerge for regional chair.

As for the provincial election … ugh.

Casting one's ballot for the best local candidate or formally declining one's ballot seem the best voting options at this point, imho.
We've done great things': Seiling reflects on 33 years as region's chair

When Ken Seiling first entered the local political scene, he likely never thought he’d end up presiding over a re...

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/we-ve-done-...-1.3924709
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »