Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion
I somehow thought that Berry Vrbanovic would run for Regional Chair, but I guess the article above rules that out.
(05-10-2018, 09:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 07:38 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Jay Aissa is apparently running again...

This is why a ranked ballot should be used instead of first-past-the-post. It is appalling to consider that a divisive Trumpian like Aissa could win over a field of reasonable challengers. I shouldn’t have to guess which proper candidate is most likely to defeat him and vote for them; I should be able to vote for all the acceptable candidates and still give my preferred candidate a different vote from my less-preferred candidates.

Agreed! I'm in a similar situation with the provincial election.  I hate voting against people rather than for who I really want.
Alas, ranked balloting (or other similar choices) not available at this point. So hopefully one strong candidate will emerge for regional chair.

As for the provincial election … ugh.
(05-11-2018, 09:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Alas, ranked balloting (or other similar choices) not available at this point. So hopefully one strong candidate will emerge for regional chair.

As for the provincial election … ugh.

Casting one's ballot for the best local candidate or formally declining one's ballot seem the best voting options at this point, imho.
We've done great things': Seiling reflects on 33 years as region's chair

When Ken Seiling first entered the local political scene, he likely never thought he’d end up presiding over a re...

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/we-ve-done-...-1.3924709
Jan D'Ailly, for reference, is a businessman involved in a lot of startups as well as previously with more old school companies (B&W I think as an example?), while also having been on the board of Clay and Glass, and been integral in pushing forward trails in Waterloo, like the Waterloop. So a good middle of the road candidate who can appeal to all sides.
(05-11-2018, 10:21 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Jan D'Ailly, for reference, is a businessman involved in a lot of startups as well as previously with more old school companies (B&W I think as an example?), while also having been on the board of Clay and Glass, and been integral in pushing forward trails in Waterloo, like the Waterloop. So a good middle of the road candidate who can appeal to all sides.

But it's not clear yet whether he's strong enough a candidate to beat Aissa.
[Image: g05hBRv.png]
(05-11-2018, 10:21 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Jan D'Ailly, for reference, is a businessman involved in a lot of startups as well as previously with more old school companies (B&W I think as an example?), while also having been on the board of Clay and Glass, and been integral in pushing forward trails in Waterloo, like the Waterloop. So a good middle of the road candidate who can appeal to all sides.

I'd vote for him over Jay, but still, there's got to be better options.

Redman's name gets tossed around, has she actually indicated she might explore this option?
Ken Seiling was in his mid-thirties when he became the Regional Chair in 1985, younger when he became Mayor of Woolwich (30 in 1978?) and younger still (28 in 1976?) when he joined Woolwich Council. (2018/70-33=1985/37 if I have my math right). Present candidates aside, is there anyone locally in their mid-thirties who would be someone to consider who could serve with the same amount of benevolent trusteeship that Ken has demonstrated?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »