Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo City Council Election Discussion
(10-20-2018, 03:02 PM)Spokes Wrote: Things are getting hot in Ward 7:

Read the whole thread including Anthony Reinhart's 30+ tweet string  (note that he is the husband of Tenille Bonoguore.

I haven't followed this race a lot, but are these two the front runners?

My guess based on signs on lawns is that Tenille is the front runner, however I live a few blocks away from her so that may explain all of the signs Smile

However, walking & driving around I don't notice as many from other candidates, so I wouldn't be able to guess at second place. Based on debate performances I would put Tenille in the lead followed by Rami, as they both came across the most knowledgeable. But I'm not out there knocking on doors, so I'm just reporting on what I thought and the general impressions I got from the few others I spoke with. I think McKenzie is the one with the least signs out there.

I would be surprised if Devon McKenzie has much traction with voters since he didn't even bother coming out to the in-person debate, but *if* he has been focused purely on students and somehow manages to get a lot of them to vote, maybe that would have an impact. From what I've read he doesn't live in the ward, so that should hurt his chances with long-term residents.

I laughed when I saw some people like his platform idea wanting to limit alcohol licenses moving forward. People, he's a bar owner. He's trying to limit the competition haha
(10-22-2018, 02:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: I laughed when I saw some people like his platform idea wanting to limit alcohol licenses moving forward.  People, he's a bar owner. He's trying to limit the competition haha

I think he also said something about seeing investments in mass transit as being unnecessary/wasteful because...autonomous vehicles
(10-22-2018, 06:55 PM)YKF Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 02:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: I laughed when I saw some people like his platform idea wanting to limit alcohol licenses moving forward.  People, he's a bar owner. He's trying to limit the competition haha

I think he also said something about seeing investments in mass transit as being unnecessary/wasteful because...autonomous vehicles

well, it looks like whoever was trying* to buy votes for him failed.

* do I have to cover my butt and say "allegedly trying"?
I'll maintain your anonymity. I got your back.
So, does anyone know if tonight's results push the council in a more NIMBY or YIMBY direction?
I know Tenille who was just elected in Uptown was opposed to 70 King North  So take that how you'd like
Yeah, I saw that. But she also used the #yimby hashtag on twitter, which left me confused.
(10-22-2018, 11:28 PM)Veggieburger Wrote: Yeah, I saw that. But she also used the #yimby hashtag on twitter, which left me confused.

Weird?  Do you remember with regards to what?

I wonder what she thinks about the Erb Street condo project?
To be clear, someone can be opposed to a development and not be a NIMBY.
Tenille struck me as a YIMBY during the Rogers debate. She clearly stated what she liked and didn't like about the proposed development.
I'm moreso curious about what her stance on future developments will be like.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Election Results Discussion Spokes 110 3,977 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jeffster
  Kitchener City Council Election Discussion Spokes 69 4,913 10-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Last Post: danbrotherston
  Waterloo Region Council Election Discussion Spokes 193 12,969 10-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: danbrotherston