Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Region approves supervised injection sites, Cambridge immediately bans them.
(04-11-2018, 11:58 AM)chutten Wrote: Words have power and "up" is a positive direction, so there's a possible systemic bias in place, even if unintentional.

To the topic of safe and supervised injection sites, I am of the opinion that Hospitals should be required to provide room on their premises for them. That would take care of a lot of the access, safety, staffing, and location concerns, no?

It might, in the case of Grand River.  Less so in the case of St Mary's.  The Sanguen Clinic in Uptown Waterloo might also be an option - it could even be complimentary to their existing services for Hep C and HIV positive people.

(04-11-2018, 01:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when they did change to Uptown Waterloo.  It was to separate itself from Downtown Kitchener.  If people in the Kitchener/Waterloo area said Downtown,  they had to preface with the name Kitchener Downtown.  When they were selling it to counsel, they did reference s well it had a "cleaner" image to it.

If you look up in The Record, I am sure you will find the articles that support it.  I think it was around the late 70's

Yeah, I grew up in the 80s and always heard that it was to differentiate Waterloo from Kitchener since DTK had a bad reputation.

I also grew up thinking Waterloo was underhanded for encouraging all social services to be in DTK... I still do. I'm really hoping Waterloo doesn't try to block a safe injection site.

FWIW, I have lived in Waterloo all my life but have tried not to be a Waterloo snob.
I see in today's Record that Sanguen Clinic is in fact looking at estabishing a "pop up" safe injection site in the Region.   In Ottawa, concerned health workers simply set up their own safe injection site in a small Lowertown park last year, obliging the municipality to get its act together to approve officially-sanctioned sites, which are now operating with no problems that I'm aware of.
(04-12-2018, 08:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I see in today's Record that Sanguen Clinic is in fact looking at estabishing a "pop up" safe injection site in the Region.   In Ottawa, concerned health workers simply set up their own safe injection site in a small Lowertown park last year, obliging the municipality to get its act together to approve officially-sanctioned sites, which are now operating with no problems that I'm aware of.

I am wondering, with the SIS's, are they also giving the addicts the drugs?? I think that is essential to make the program work. Most of the addicts I've come into contact with just are trying to 'feel normal', but everything out there is cut with other junk, or sometimes spiked, which makes everything worse, which is why we have these deaths and the addicts acting like idiots.
(04-11-2018, 11:33 PM)tvot Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 01:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when they did change to Uptown Waterloo.  It was to separate itself from Downtown Kitchener.  If people in the Kitchener/Waterloo area said Downtown,  they had to preface with the name Kitchener Downtown.  When they were selling it to counsel, they did reference s well it had a "cleaner" image to it.

If you look up in The Record, I am sure you will find the articles that support it.  I think it was around the late 70's

Yeah, I grew up in the 80s and always heard that it was to differentiate Waterloo from Kitchener since DTK had a bad reputation.

I also grew up thinking Waterloo was underhanded for encouraging all social services to be in DTK... I still do. I'm really hoping Waterloo doesn't try to block a safe injection site.

FWIW, I have lived in Waterloo all my life but have tried not to be a Waterloo snob.

This is not different from today, just posted this morning on https://www.facebook.com/groups/FoodInTheWaterlooRegion

"
DOWNTOWN Waterloo?
When did we get the downgrade? [Image: 1f602.png]?
"

Followed by these comments:

***: There are some good spots in DTK but as Trump would say it's a shit hole
***: It’s deffo a shit hole.

***: DTK has been slowly sliding off my radar. Had a really good pop. But is now seemingly stagnant/complacent.

Which generally sound like comments from people who haven't actually been downtown.  

But it's pretty clear that attitude is more than prevalent today, and that calling "uptown" "uptown" is a way in which they differentiate away from that image.
(04-12-2018, 09:15 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I see in today's Record that Sanguen Clinic is in fact looking at estabishing a "pop up" safe injection site in the Region.   In Ottawa, concerned health workers simply set up their own safe injection site in a small Lowertown park last year, obliging the municipality to get its act together to approve officially-sanctioned sites, which are now operating with no problems that I'm aware of.

I am wondering, with the SIS's, are they also giving the addicts the drugs?? I think that is essential to make the program work. Most of the addicts I've come into contact with just are trying to 'feel normal', but everything out there is cut with other junk, or sometimes spiked, which makes everything worse, which is why we have these deaths and the addicts acting like idiots.

No, these supervised injection sites are "BYOD" as I understand it.  Supplying the drugs would be illegal.  I don't even know if such sites test the drugs for safety, prior to injection, although that would be a good service if they could.  My understanding was that their role was limited to providing a clean needle and being on standby in case of an overdose.  Plus, they make available information on addiction services/counselling for those looking to get clean.
(04-12-2018, 09:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:15 AM)jeffster Wrote: I am wondering, with the SIS's, are they also giving the addicts the drugs?? I think that is essential to make the program work. Most of the addicts I've come into contact with just are trying to 'feel normal', but everything out there is cut with other junk, or sometimes spiked, which makes everything worse, which is why we have these deaths and the addicts acting like idiots.

No, these supervised injection sites are "BYOD" as I understand it.  Supplying the drugs would be illegal.  I don't even know if such sites test the drugs for safety, prior to injection, although that would be a good service if they could.  My understanding was that their role was limited to providing a clean needle and being on standby in case of an overdose.  Plus, they make available information on addiction services/counselling for those looking to get clean.

I think what they're doing in Vancouver is actually providing the drug as well. Heroine IIRC. Every 8 hours. The ones 'on the program' are doing good. They're getting medical grade heroine that keeps them levelled until their next hit. Compared to the ones who are not on the program, passing out from drugs that are laced with all sorts of crap like carfentanil.

(04-12-2018, 04:34 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote: No, these supervised injection sites are "BYOD" as I understand it.  Supplying the drugs would be illegal.  I don't even know if such sites test the drugs for safety, prior to injection, although that would be a good service if they could.  My understanding was that their role was limited to providing a clean needle and being on standby in case of an overdose.  Plus, they make available information on addiction services/counselling for those looking to get clean.

I think what they're doing in Vancouver is actually providing the drug as well. Heroine IIRC.  Every 8 hours.  The ones 'on the program' are doing good. They're getting medical grade heroine that keeps them levelled until their next hit. Compared to the ones who are not on the program, passing out from drugs that are laced with all sorts of crap like carfentanil.

I know that addicts can get heroin by doctor's prescription in Canada, but I was not aware that a third party (ie other than a doctor) could legally provide heroin to someone.  In any event, I don't think that the idea of providing the drugs features in the debate as it has unfolded in Ontario.  Perhaps it will come in future.
Maybe a doctor prescribed it and the SIS workers are "just" dispensing it?
(04-12-2018, 07:04 PM)chutten Wrote: Maybe a doctor prescribed it and the SIS workers are "just" dispensing it?

I can't remember. It was on W5. I imagine though that there would have had to be some doctor involved at some point, to Rx it, and the SIS keeps it on site, sorta like a pharmacy does with its meth.
(04-12-2018, 04:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I know that addicts can get heroin by doctor's prescription in Canada, but I was not aware that a third party (ie other than a doctor) could legally provide heroin to someone.  In any event, I don't think that the idea of providing the drugs features in the debate as it has unfolded in Ontario.  Perhaps it will come in future.

If the doctor prescribes, somebody has to provide. I doubt any doctor is maintaining a supply of heroin for their patients.
You would think that at the very least, they'd have testing kits available, so someone could check their drugs for anything unexpected.
Today's Ottawa Citizen has a short video on the opening of that city's first permanent safe injection facility, in Sandy Hill on Rideau St. (sort of comparable to Downtown Kitchener's East End).

http://ottawacitizen.com/category/news/local-news

(04-13-2018, 07:26 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: If the doctor prescribes, somebody has to provide. I doubt any doctor is maintaining a supply of heroin for their patients.

Not that they would maintain a supply, but surely they would have access to medicinal grade opioids: morphine, etc.

(04-17-2018, 09:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: You would think that at the very least, they'd have testing kits available, so someone could check their drugs for anything unexpected.

If people are putting junk in their veins for a fix, a lot of times they don't care what's in it and/or don't want to wait for the analysis before they shoot up.  Sad but true.  I suppose that root 'urgency' is why there are so many OD's.
(04-18-2018, 06:24 PM)embe Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 07:26 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: If the doctor prescribes, somebody has to provide. I doubt any doctor is maintaining a supply of heroin for their patients.

Not that they would maintain a supply, but surely they would have access to medicinal grade opioids: morphine, etc.

(04-17-2018, 09:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: You would think that at the very least, they'd have testing kits available, so someone could check their drugs for anything unexpected.

If people are putting junk in their veins for a fix, a lot of times they don't care what's in it and/or don't want to wait for the analysis before they shoot up.  Sad but true.  I suppose that root 'urgency' is why there are so many OD's.

From one of Ottawa's supervised injection sites - the Sandy Hill clinic will be testing street drugs for fentanyl, etc with a $160,000 portable mass spectrometer.  Apparently this is the first time a supervised site in Canada is using this technology.

The testing will not be mandatory.  It remains to be seen what addicts will do if their drugs test positive.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/new...-1.4646663
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »