Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
(02-07-2020, 10:41 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 10:32 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Just another reason we should amalgamate. At least the three cities. The reason they say waterloo is because the region has branded "Waterloo" as a tech centre with population of 600,000. Which is a smart move. They don't market Kitchener with 233 000 or Waterloo with 130,000.  It would make us look small and confuse potential investors. Big tech companies need to know that there will be enough potential employees to service the expansion in the region.  Who cares if they said waterloo. The point is that Google is expanding in the region which is great for everyone in the region and by making it publicly known that Google is investing in Waterloo tech hub maybe other big tech companies will look into the region and see the young talent exist here and also look to create a hub here. 

The reason people say Brampton or Mississauga is because they have a population to justify that. Brampton has over 500,000 and Mississauga has over 800,000.
I get it....  You missed the point that some of us are proud Kitchener residents..thats all...   They should never have made it the Region of Waterloo,  it should have been a different name  That was the additional point I was making...
I get that people are proud Kitchener residents which is great, count me as one of them. That doesn't stop me from wanting amalgamation even if we end up with Waterloo as our official name. People of North York and Scarborough are proud to be residents of that area and still tell people within Toronto that they live in those neighborhoods. Foreign investors don't care though, they set up in Toronto because it is a known name, they might actually be locating in North York. Waterloo like it or not is the name that has clout in the tech world, that is why the region and the cities use it when luring investors. It was also waterloo county before the regional government was formed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 10 fl | U/C - by westwardloo - 02-07-2020, 11:06 AM
RE: City of Kitchener Official Plan - by jeffster - 03-11-2019, 07:55 PM
RE: City of Kitchener Official Plan - by Spokes - 03-11-2019, 10:51 PM
RE: City of Kitchener Official Plan - by tomh009 - 03-12-2019, 10:26 AM