Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
(03-17-2019, 03:13 AM)Square Wrote: I wonder what this item in the photo is?   For any weather enthusiasts like myself, it looks like a temperature weather station to me!  I wonder if a weather station was here in Kitchener weather stations past?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4544233,-...m2!1e4!1e1

Maybe -- I know there was one where the former Eaton's Centre was built. But that's a long, long time ago (I think it was used between the 1930's and 1970.

Here's a look inside the old pump house building: https://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=28251
(03-17-2019, 03:13 AM)Square Wrote: I wonder what this item in the photo is?   For any weather enthusiasts like myself, it looks like a temperature weather station to me!  I wonder if a weather station was here in Kitchener weather stations past?

When the Breithaupt Block was occupied by Perstorp Components/Collins & Aikman, that box housed a thermometer. When a temperature of 28° was observed, plant floor personnel were provided with "heat relief", meaning extra breaks, company-provided Gatorade and the option to go home four hours early without pay.

It was not an official weather station of any kind, just a thermometer in a white box.
(03-17-2019, 09:25 AM)jeffster Wrote:

Maybe -- I know there was one where the former Eaton's Centre was built. But that's a long, long time ago (I think it was used between the 1930's and 1970.

Thank you.  The Eatons at Market Square or the old one at King and Water?
(03-17-2019, 01:19 PM)Chicopee Wrote:

When the Breithaupt Block was occupied by Perstorp Components/Collins & Aikman, that box housed a thermometer. When a temperature of 28° was observed, plant floor personnel were provided with "heat relief", meaning extra breaks, company-provided Gatorade and the option to go home four hours early without pay.

It was not an official weather station of any kind, just a thermometer in a white box.

Thank you for the information!  Too bad it was not a official weather station.  Still trying to find any info about Kitchener weather station from 1914 to 1977, with no luck.  The only info I have is this info Latitude:
43°26'00.000" N

Longitude:
80°30'00.000" W

points me to here : https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4334355,-...m2!1e4!1e1
(03-18-2019, 03:18 AM)Square Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 01:19 PM)Chicopee Wrote: When the Breithaupt Block was occupied by Perstorp Components/Collins & Aikman, that box housed a thermometer. When a temperature of 28° was observed, plant floor personnel were provided with "heat relief", meaning extra breaks, company-provided Gatorade and the option to go home four hours early without pay.

Thank you for the information!  Too bad it was not a official weather station.  Still trying to find any info about Kitchener weather station from 1914 to 1977, with no luck.  The only info I have is this info Latitude:
43°26'00.000" N

Longitude:
80°30'00.000" W

points me to here : https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4334355,-...m2!1e4!1e1

That’s false precision. The “00.000” at the end of those numbers can’t be counted upon; and the “30” in the second one may as well be “½” (although there is at least some chance that it is accurate to 1 minute, given the other number).

So you’re really looking at a rectangle about 1 nautical mile north/south and half that east/west, even assuming we believe the “30”.
(03-17-2019, 11:44 AM)Lens Wrote: Here's a look inside the old pump house

“Pump house” is enough of a clue to read the label on the 1913 map:

“Resevoir”

Seems likely the other 3 buildings in the middle of the block are the ones MacBerry rememebers.

(03-18-2019, 03:12 AM)Square Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 09:25 AM)jeffster Wrote: Maybe -- I know there was one where the former Eaton's Centre was built. But that's a long, long time ago (I think it was used between the 1930's and 1970.

Thank you.  The Eatons at Market Square or the old one at King and Water?

My understanding was that it was at the Market Square location, likely it was across the street from the old City Hall. And I really can't remember where I found that info, but an inner city weather station does give better information for the majority of people due to urban heating.
Thank you all for the replies! This is getting off topic, so I'll leave it as it is.
How official will the LPAT ruling be when there shut down in a few Months? who would enforce there ruling? Would Perimeter be able to build the development as already approved by the City Once LPAT shuts down? I wonder if Perimeter could buy the old McDonald's property and build a parking garage there?
LPAT ruling? I thought there was a negotiated settlement. In any event, one would normally expect any existing LPAT rulings to remain in place, unless theres' some avenue for appeal.
(03-26-2019, 08:44 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: How official will the LPAT ruling be when there shut down in a few Months? who would enforce there ruling? Would Perimeter be able to build the development as already approved by the City Once LPAT shuts down? I wonder if Perimeter could buy the old McDonald's property and build a parking garage there?

LPAT is not shutting down in a few months - just the support centre if I recall correctly. And a parking garage at the McD property definitely will not happen as that's a key piece of land for intensification with frontage on King, Moore and Breithaupt.
(03-26-2019, 10:29 AM)urbd Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 08:44 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: How official will the LPAT ruling be when there shut down in a few Months? who would enforce there ruling? Would Perimeter be able to build the development as already approved by the City Once LPAT shuts down? I wonder if Perimeter could buy the old McDonald's property and build a parking garage there?

LPAT is not shutting down in a few months - just the support centre if I recall correctly. And a parking garage at the McD property definitely will not happen as that's a key piece of land for intensification with frontage on King, Moore and Breithaupt.

That doesn't mean it couldn't be a parking garage. Perimeter has no obligation to make a nice frontage piece on King, they do have an obligation to maximize their investment, which may require finding other solutions for parking. I'm not sure whether a parking garage would fit the current zoning requirements on that site, but if it did, I think the city would have limited ability to stop it. What I'm getting at is just because it's a bad thing for the city doesn't mean it isn't allowed or that Perimeter wouldn't do it.

(03-26-2019, 10:29 AM)urbd Wrote:

I can't imagine the city would EVER let that happen
Fortunately it doesn't matter either way. McDonalds would have sold that property 4 years ago if they wanted to get out of that location. I'm sure they've turned down a shit load of juicy offers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »