Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
Thank you for the replies. I will check out the area on Tuesday after my appointment in the area.

The building permit for the foundation has been issued.

Permit is for foundation and shoring only for 11 storey office building with underground parking.
I don't see any permits for the parking garage portion of the project yet (305 Joseph or 2-4 Stewart).
Probably doesn't need to be started yet as it'll be a faster project
They've dug up a strip about 15 ft wide on three sides of the site. (Wellington, Breithaupt and Moore)
Nice. Anything else new on this (Google expansion) project? Do we know the estimated month/year of completion?
Pile driver working on site

Do we know if the design of this has changed much since the parking garage has been removed? Or is the office component still the same? Were there updated proposals at all? Looking to update my model of the building
(11-20-2019, 05:31 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Do we know if the design of this has changed much since the parking garage has been removed? Or is the office component still the same? Were there updated proposals at all? Looking to update my model of the building

Perimeter posted updated renders with the surface parking, shorter building, and bridge to phase 2. I think the older ones were more visually interesting, with the office box above being two intersecting cubes of different height. Now it's more a standard glass office box, as they wanted to keep the same square footage in a lower height (due to neighbourhood objections). I feel like it's a textbook case of the NIMBYism not even accomplishing its objectives, the same number of people with the same amount of traffic will be there, just now it's shorter so people feel like they have a victory, but at the price of architectural interest. I don't think there's a material difference between being a neighbour to an 8 storey vs 10 storey building.

Anyways, I thought the renders were in this thread but I can't find them, so here they are:

Full sizes are at http://perimeterdevelopment.com/projects...upt-block/
At least the stilts are cool. Any bets they become Google colours once installed?
The renders in the original proposal to council had that glass block on top only being 5 floors, I hadn't realized at some point it had increased to 7 (and now back to 6)!
(11-20-2019, 06:34 PM)GtwoK Wrote: The renders in the original proposal to council had that glass block on top only being 5 floors, I hadn't realized at some point it had increased to 7 (and now back to 6)!
If I am not mistaken from the rendering it appears to have a 4 story (podium) 1 floor inset then 6 stories glass block. For a total of 11 stories
Thanks for posting those. While disappointing compared to what it was, I still think this will be a show stopper.

(11-22-2019, 10:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for posting those.  While disappointing compared to what it was, I still think this will be a show stopper.
Has it changed much compared to what was supposed to be there? it looks like all that was lost was 1 story and the parking garage? The building form looks pretty similar. I don't know how I feel about the lose of the parking garage structure. I kind of hope it just opens up the possibility of the another future office expansion haha. Although I would prefer that to happen at the old McDonald site.
If the renders posted here are correct, the footprint is larger to make up for the lost height — the parkette at Wellington & Moore is gone.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »