Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
(09-09-2019, 10:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Not the land that the shuttered McDonalds is sitting on, one hopes.  Corner of Duke and Breithaupt perhaps?

Corner of King and Victoria, since the ‘transit hub’ obviously isn't happening.

(09-10-2019, 11:50 AM)kps Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Not the land that the shuttered McDonalds is sitting on, one hopes.  Corner of Duke and Breithaupt perhaps?

Corner of King and Victoria, since the ‘transit hub’ obviously isn't happening.

Say what?  (!)
(09-09-2019, 10:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:05 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A bit confusing but the articles published about this project in late June 2019 are stating that this is an 11 storey office building? Originally it was planned as a 12 neighbours complained and it was reduced to 10, or unless that's 10 above ground plus the 1 level of underground parking?

The article states that construction is expected to begin next month if so that is very exciting.

Do we know what parcels of land will house the parking garage?

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-relea...trict.html

Not the land that the shuttered McDonalds is sitting on, one hopes.  Corner of Duke and Breithaupt perhaps?

Think other side of King...
(09-10-2019, 10:42 PM)Lens Wrote:

Think other side of King...

The SIXO site?
Wait, is the parking garage component dead?
(09-11-2019, 01:44 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wait, is the parking garage component dead?

Yep.  It died in the settlement with the neighbours.
The parking garage is still happening, on the other side of King street, near the dead-end side of Joseph street, AFAIK

Yes, what died was the originally proposed parking garage behind the Phase III tower.
Oh right, now I remember.

I wonder how they'll fill that lot now. Surface for now but you've got to think there's still development potential. The issue was that it was a parking garage, was it not?
(09-12-2019, 11:14 AM)Spokes Wrote: Oh right, now I remember.

I wonder how they'll fill that lot now.  Surface for now but you've got to think there's still development potential.  The issue was that it was a parking garage, was it not?

The context was the proposed parking garage, but the underlying issue was a tall structure abutting the houses' back yards, so I would think anything above two or three stories would get similar pushback.
The press release announcing that this expansion would get built and was fully leased did say that the surface parking lot may be used for a future phase 4.

Phase 3 is already so massive though I feel it will take Google a long time to fill. KW is already one of Google's largest engineering sites globally, apparently second largest outside the SF Bay area, and this expansion will almost triple it in size. It'll be a while before Google needs more.
(09-12-2019, 12:17 PM)taylortbb Wrote: … apparently second largest outside the SF Bay area

Not at all; e.g. they have two full city blocks in NYC.
(09-12-2019, 02:59 PM)kps Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 12:17 PM)taylortbb Wrote: … apparently second largest outside the SF Bay area

Not at all; e.g. they have two full city blocks in NYC.

Second largest outside the bay area, the largest outside the bay area is NYC.

Also, my comment was engineering only. NYC has a lot of non-engineering teams, while KW is almost entirely engineering. Other offices I assume are similar to NYC, whereas here they do non-engineering things in Toronto.

(09-12-2019, 03:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 02:59 PM)kps Wrote: Not at all; e.g. they have two full city blocks in NYC.

Second largest outside the bay area, the largest outside the bay area is NYC.

Also, my comment was engineering only. NYC has a lot of non-engineering teams, while KW is almost entirely engineering. Other offices I assume are similar to NYC, whereas here they do non-engineering things in Toronto.

Still nah; Zurich has 2K+; Taipei has 2K+. Possibly others I don't remember.
(09-12-2019, 12:17 PM)taylortbb Wrote: The press release announcing that this expansion would get built and was fully leased did say that the surface parking lot may be used for a future phase 4.

Phase 3 is already so massive though I feel it will take Google a long time to fill. KW is already one of Google's largest engineering sites globally, apparently second largest outside the SF Bay area, and this expansion will almost triple it in size. It'll be a while before Google needs more.

Is it a given that a future Phase IV would be Google space?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »