Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quebec City Tramway
Quebec City unveils plans for $3-billion tramway network

Quote:Quebec City unveiled plans Friday to build a $3-billion public transit network that will include tramways, an electric trambus and reserved bus lanes.

The tramway would extend over 23 kilometres, including two sections that would run underground.

The total trip would take 38 minutes, said Benoît Carrier, the head of planning for Quebec City's public transit system.

The streetcars, which can accommodate 260 passengers, would run from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m., every three to five minutes during rush hour and every 10 to 15 minutes otherwise. 

The vehicles in the renders have a very Bombardier look to them...

Further diagrams, etc in this PDF, from the main website. All official documentation is French-only.

Was just about to post! I actually came here to see if someone else had posted this already, and had a decent map...

I wouldn't look too much into the renders - as gorgeous as they are (and I love that colour scheme). The architects just take whatever is stock and stretch and reshape things.
So I guess that will make Winnipeg the odd one out in the LRT game, followed by London.
(03-18-2018, 05:14 PM)KevinL Wrote: Quebec City unveils plans for $3-billion tramway network

Quote:Quebec City unveiled plans Friday to build a $3-billion public transit network that will include tramways, an electric trambus and reserved bus lanes.

The tramway would extend over 23 kilometres, including two sections that would run underground.

The total trip would take 38 minutes, said Benoît Carrier, the head of planning for Quebec City's public transit system.

The streetcars, which can accommodate 260 passengers, would run from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m., every three to five minutes during rush hour and every 10 to 15 minutes otherwise. 

Further diagrams, etc in this PDF, from the main website. All official documentation is French-only.

I think for our LRT, it would have been advantages to putting some of it underground -- from Victoria to Ottawa...but I guess that dig would have been way too much cash....
(03-18-2018, 08:05 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 05:14 PM)KevinL Wrote: Quebec City unveils plans for $3-billion tramway network

I think for our LRT, it would have been advantages to putting some of it underground -- from Victoria to Ottawa...but I guess that dig would have been way too much cash....

What is the advantage of putting it underground though.  This has to be a specific and compelling reason.  The problem is, most of the time it is simply "makes more room for cars" which I think is a terrible reason.  I think that probably applies to most underground proposals here, but I have no idea about QC.
I don't know Quebec City very well, but it looks like part of the underground section is below the old city, which is understandable.

(03-18-2018, 08:49 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't know Quebec City very well, but it looks like part of the underground section is below the old city, which is understandable.

That's the case in the larger eastern tunnel, yes. The smaller western one appears to be to get out of the median of one arterial, into a major station serving a dense neighbourhood, then onto the far side of another arterial. See for yourself on page 22 of the PDF.
(03-18-2018, 08:49 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't know Quebec City very well, but it looks like part of the underground section is below the old city, which is understandable.

Vieux-Quebec does have narrow streets and stone gates and walls etc, so maybe, but there are certainly narrow streets in Europe with trams running on them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »