Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Region of Waterloo will receive over $341m in funding for public transit
Wasn't quite sure which thread to put this in since it covers quite a few things. The amount of funding the region will receive for public transit under the new Investing in Canada plan was just announced.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ne...10833.html

Quote:Under the public transit stream, Waterloo will receive over $187 million in federal funding and over $154 million in provincial funding to build new urban transit networks and service extensions that will transform the way residents live, move and work.

(03-16-2018, 03:58 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Wasn't quite sure which thread to put this in since it covers quite a few things. The amount of funding the region will receive for public transit under the new Investing in Canada plan was just announced.

Quote:Under the public transit stream, Waterloo will receive over $187 million in federal funding and over $154 million in provincial funding to build new urban transit networks and service extensions that will transform the way residents live, move and work.

What exactly does Waterloo need this for? You'd think that money would be invested in Kitchener first, then perhaps Cambridge (as it is part of Phase II of the Ion)...
After seeing the $9+ billion announcement for Toronto the other day, I was wondering when other municipalities would be getting their good news.

Improved and extended service on evenings/weekends is likely a good starting place, as well as a pilot to Breslau.
(03-16-2018, 04:20 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 03:58 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Wasn't quite sure which thread to put this in since it covers quite a few things. The amount of funding the region will receive for public transit under the new Investing in Canada plan was just announced.

What exactly does Waterloo need this for? You'd think that money would be invested in Kitchener first, then perhaps Cambridge (as it is part of Phase II of the Ion)...

I think its the Region of Waterloo as a whole, not the City of Waterloo. Can OP please change the title of the post to reflect this?
(03-16-2018, 04:20 PM)jeffster Wrote: What exactly does Waterloo need this for? You'd think that money would be invested in Kitchener first, then perhaps Cambridge (as it is part of Phase II of the Ion)...

I'm pretty certain this is referring to Waterloo Region, not CoW.
I'm sorry, the forum software won't let me edit the title. It is in the second sentence of the post though.
(03-16-2018, 04:22 PM)timio Wrote: Improved and extended service on evenings/weekends is likely a good starting place, as well as a pilot to Breslau.

Please don't start a pilot to Breslau unless its in a minivan with frequent service (or there's really clear data that it will be used).

Title fixed now.
Is this all new money, or does it include funding previously announced?
(03-16-2018, 10:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is this all new money, or does it include funding previously announced?

I think this is new money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the RoW much larger than City of London? They seem to be getting more money than us. There must be a reason for this.

The money they're getting is for their BRT. They'll be getting $200M from the feds, and $170M from province.

I'd say our local governments aren't fighting hard enough.

The Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo population is 467,000 (doesn't include townships, doesn't include students).
London is 383,000 (doesn't include students).

Just saying...that money we're getting won't go a long way to phase II of the Ion, unless we're getting more money separately for that.
Is there any indication that any of that new money is intended for Phase II?
Guelph is also getting slightly more per capita than we are.

But there are other aspects than just population that are considered.
(03-17-2018, 08:50 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Guelph is also getting slightly more per capita than we are.

But there are other aspects than just population that are considered.

Right. We did previously get funding for the LRT, so that may have somewhat reduced our share this time around.

I believe the formula was based on ridership, not population.
Correct. LTC's ridership is a fair bit higher than GRT's.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »