Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
35 King St N, Waterloo (Old, old Post Office)
I hope the new sidewalk and cycling lane aren't damaged or destroyed during construction.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(03-14-2018, 12:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 08:42 PM)MacBerry Wrote:  
NO! Count on and take the LRT and reduce the surface parking ... the future starts now in 2018

I guess I should have posted with the sarcasm clearly flagged!

Sorry 

I missed "it" the first time
Any updates on this one?

As I commented on the Galt Post Office thread, I wish this project would've been a new Waterloo Public Library space. This would allow for the Albert Street branch to be closed and redeveloped. Would this project be too small for a WPL?
(05-03-2019, 10:26 AM)urbd Wrote: Any updates on this one?

As I commented on the Galt Post Office thread, I wish this project would've been a new Waterloo Public Library space. This would allow for the Albert Street branch to be closed and redeveloped. Would this project be too small for a WPL?

While conceptually I love the idea of WPL in an old landmark building on King St., a quick glance at Google Maps shows that this particular idea (in particular, I note that you propose closing the Albert St. building, so this is a replacement) does not work. The entire property on King, including the adjacent currently-vacant lot, has about half the horizontal space of the existing library building. So unless you’re proposing a 3-story building right to the property line, the 3-dimensional space is simply not available at this location. Even more floors would be required if the idea is to expand the library.
Walking through uptown last night I noticed that hoarding is now up around both properties, and there's a sign up with renders and logos. Is this new? I don't remember seeing it last time I was in uptown, but it's been a while since I walked along this part of King St.

Isn't the new Strata development supposed to go where the old post office is?
(11-09-2020, 01:24 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Isn't the new Strata development supposed to go where the old post office is?

Strata is going where the old post office is (King/Bridgeport), this thread is for the old old post office (King/Dupont).

This is the original post office (or the post office before the one on King and Bridgeport). Yes boarding is new. The project was on hold for a while, but they will finally be starting some construction on this infill project.
Are they building into that empty lot too?
(11-10-2020, 10:06 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are they building into that empty lot too?
yes they are building a 3 floor office building in the parking lot attached to the historic post office.
Thanks!

I'm feeling this project too. Very nice (based on renderings). Maintaining old post office a la Idea Exhange Galt

Coming along nicely

[Image: nksjwXX.jpg]
(03-14-2018, 08:43 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I hope the new sidewalk and cycling lane aren't damaged or destroyed during construction.

As far as I recall, they were maintained pretty well.