Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
35 King St N, Waterloo (Old, old Post Office)
(03-13-2018, 10:12 AM)timc Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 09:07 AM)goggolor Wrote: This looks cool, but I feel bad for anyone living in the Dupont St apartments who will have their big picture windows just a few feet from the windows of this new building. I used to live in one of those apartments myself - if I still lived there I wouldn't be happy about this cutting off my entire view.

Is this much different in size than the building that was there before?

Here's a satellite photo of the from 2012 showing the building that later burned down.

(03-13-2018, 11:46 AM)goggolor Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 10:12 AM)timc Wrote: Is this much different in size than the building that was there before?

This is *way* bigger than the old building - 37-41 King used to have a large parking lot in back, this is filling the entire footprint of the lot and the parking lot on the Dupont side as well. Which is a really cool use of space, but there are some folks who are going to lose all the natural light to their apartments and be staring into an office building. (Yes, I agree this is the cost of living in the city... but some people will still have the right to be disappointed. Just like I was disappointed when the 37-41 King St owners chainsawed all the old mature trees in the back of their property which used to keep the Dupont St building cool in the summer).

City of Waterloo needs to increase the surface parking minimums to prevent these kinds of problems! At least 50% of every new development should be surface parking!
(03-13-2018, 12:00 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote: Here's a satellite photo of the from 2012 showing the building that later burned down.

Ah, OK. That would be a bit disappointing for the neighbours.
(03-13-2018, 01:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 11:46 AM)goggolor Wrote: This is *way* bigger than the old building - 37-41 King used to have a large parking lot in back, this is filling the entire footprint of the lot and the parking lot on the Dupont side as well. Which is a really cool use of space, but there are some folks who are going to lose all the natural light to their apartments and be staring into an office building. (Yes, I agree this is the cost of living in the city... but some people will still have the right to be disappointed. Just like I was disappointed when the 37-41 King St owners chainsawed all the old mature trees in the back of their property which used to keep the Dupont St building cool in the summer).

City of Waterloo needs to increase the surface parking minimums to prevent these kinds of problems! At least 50% of every new development should be surface parking!

NO! Count on and take the LRT and reduce the surface parking ... the future starts now in 2018
(03-13-2018, 08:42 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 01:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: City of Waterloo needs to increase the surface parking minimums to prevent these kinds of problems! At least 50% of every new development should be surface parking!

NO! Count on and take the LRT and reduce the surface parking ... the future starts now in 2018

I guess I should have posted with the sarcasm clearly flagged!
I hope the new sidewalk and cycling lane aren't damaged or destroyed during construction.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-14-2018, 12:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 08:42 PM)MacBerry Wrote:  

I guess I should have posted with the sarcasm clearly flagged!

Sorry 

I missed "it" the first time
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  185 King St. S., Waterloo (Corner of King and Allen) Tony_Plow 42 4,123 06-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: embe
  Galt Post Office renovation | planning rangersfan 12 9,794 05-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Last Post: DHLawrence