Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
417 King St W | 55 fl | Proposed
It does make sense to have the business in the downtown area; having it at this particular location makes less and less sense as the surrounding area develops.

I don't think U-Haul would ever sell...that thing is a prize. They're able to offer not only storage space but vehicles and supplies that are always in need. Everything they offer is incredibly useful for those who already live in a dense urban space or who will be moving into said space. It'll look funny sitting next to all these skyscrapers, but if the owners have any sense they'll hold on to it. Long term they probably stand to make more money off of that location than they would selling it. Although, selling it and moving nearby is always another potential. There's still plenty of vacant space within the core of the region, so depending on what the property is valued at, they could always sell and relocate. But in the meantime I imagine they'll just stay where they are.
Are they doing anything they couldn’t do in the ground floor of a tower? They could even expand — ground floor store/office, P1/P2 truck parking, P3-Pn resident car parking.
Saving money, heh. It would cost them a fortune to not only lease a brand new retail space but also multiple levels of it/parking for their fleet, storage lockers and inventory.

I have no idea how the business of U-Haul works but they don't impress upon me that they're the sort of company that would feel tempted by any offers for the property...though, no doubt, it's worth a hell of a lot.
(12-15-2023, 04:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: I have no idea how the business of U-Haul works but they don't impress upon me that they're the sort of company that would feel tempted by any offers for the property...though, no doubt, it's worth a hell of a lot.

U-Haul corporate is heavily leveraged so at some point they will likely unlock the value in that property (and pay down some of their debt) and relocate to a less expensive location, quite likely leased rather than purchased. But whether that will happen in the next two, five or ten years is anyone's guess.
There's fencing up on half the parking lot. Not sure if it's for this project or not, but the entire parking lot is part of the property.

[Image: QVjPpWu.jpg]
Photo 
(12-17-2023, 05:06 PM)ac3r Wrote: There's fencing up on half the parking lot. Not sure if it's for this project or not, but the entire parking lot is part of the property.

[Image: QVjPpWu.jpg]

Saw this too and wasn't sure which thread to post it in. The pylons all say IN8 on them, but it's strange for Tek to need this space all of a sudden. I also noticed that Ziggy's old front doors have been covered in wire mesh. Are they preparing to demolish the old 417 maybe? Slightly different topic, but here is a pic of the IN8/Tek office in the old Clique organic salon (since it came up earlier in the thread)

Could be they are about to receive some large components for Tek that can't go up immediately so they've reserved some space for storage. Just a guess.
Maybe U-haul needs a row to park the vehicles because the one lane is so close to the parking podium. If the parking is empty why not rent it out to IN8 and make some cash. Also why did Ziggy not take the big sign and bring it to the new location? Do they not own it?
(12-18-2023, 03:42 AM)Square Wrote: Maybe U-haul needs a row to park the vehicles because the one lane is so close to the parking podium.  If the parking is empty why not rent it out to IN8 and make some cash.  Also why did Ziggy not take the big sign and bring it to the new location?  Do they not own it?

The new building they're in just has really small signs on the outside for all the businesses inside it. Likely the original sign from King St wouldn't have fit what the new landlords would allow.
(12-17-2023, 05:43 PM)CuilTard Wrote: Saw this too and wasn't sure which thread to post it in. The pylons all say IN8 on them, but it's strange for Tek to need this space all of a sudden. I also noticed that Ziggy's old front doors have been covered in wire mesh. Are they preparing to demolish the old 417 maybe? Slightly different topic, but here is a pic of the IN8/Tek office in the old Clique organic salon (since it came up earlier in the thread)

Ohh, do they? I didn't waste time getting up close since it was miserable weather out on Sunday. If they say IN8 then it's probably either for parking or storage.

What a shame...was hoping the earlier discussion in the previous few days speculating that they wouldn't start on this project anytime soon was in fact incorrect. Ah well, at least it's approved.
Looks like the fencing was for the Tek skyscraper after all. They're using it as a staging area for building supplies.

Also, I assume VanMar installed a mesh grate over the doors of the Ziggy's building. I wonder if they're worried about squatters or addicts ripping out the copper wire and plumbing, because it's very fine mesh and bolted right to the building.
Photo 
(12-26-2023, 09:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: Looks like the fencing was for the Tek skyscraper after all. They're using it as a staging area for building supplies.

Also, I assume VanMar installed a mesh grate over the doors of the Ziggy's building. I wonder if they're worried about squatters or addicts ripping out the copper wire and plumbing, because it's very fine mesh and bolted right to the building.

Indeed. IN8 needs a lot of stuff. Here's the playpen with some construction stuff in it. 

Site plan application has officially been submitted for this which is the next step for official approval. Doesn’t mean sales will start anytime soon, but you never know..

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id...9eb177f64e
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »