Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Patrick's celebrations
It just kinda feels like they're making it up as they go.

Parties aren't going away : 

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...o-go-away/
(03-12-2019, 08:20 AM)Spokes Wrote: Parties aren't going away : 

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...o-go-away/

Well, it is an opinion piece:

Quote:Ezra Avenue gatherings are also a symptom of the oppression of the capitalist society we live in.

Clearly someone that doesn't understand what either oppression is nor what capitalism is. Yet somehow managed to place both in the same sentence. As Trump would say; "FAKE NEWS!"
I'm curious how things will go on Sunday
I expect reprints of the same news stories/opinion pieces as we've seen for the last several years. I hope that nothing worse happens.
(03-15-2019, 10:27 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'm curious how things will go on Sunday

Partly sunny and 2ºC, so not the greatest outdoor weather, but not bad either. So I am guessing the cool temps won't keep people home.

I am guessing they'll have around 28,000 students along with a hundred creepers that get in to ogle the young ladies.

Costs will likely exceed $2M this year.
Why would it be three times as expensive as last year?

I thought I saw upwards of $500,000 in just police wages alone.
The media coverage this year has been insane. It seemed like CTV was posting a new article practically every hour. The Record had live updates on Twitter. It's continuing today with articles about clean-up and recaps. Is there any other single local event that gets this much coverage?
(03-18-2019, 10:50 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: The media coverage this year has been insane. It seemed like CTV was posting a new article practically every hour. The Record had live updates on Twitter. It's continuing today with articles about clean-up and recaps. Is there any other single local event that gets this much coverage?

But was there any news?
No, and ironically, this is contributing to the "problem".

This is one of the most frustrating things our city does--and I do NOT mean the students.
(03-18-2019, 10:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: No, and ironically, this is contributing to the "problem".

This is one of the most frustrating things our city does--and I do NOT mean the students.

Not following.  What do you mean?
(03-18-2019, 03:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 10:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: No, and ironically, this is contributing to the "problem".

Not following.  What do you mean?

I'm betting that the constant news coverage drives attendance...so contributing to the problem.

And the frustrating thing is the frothing at the mouth hate.  There have been more than one person to argue the people who need medical attention should have been left to die.

(03-18-2019, 10:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is one of the most frustrating things our city does--and I do NOT mean the students.

(03-18-2019, 04:44 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm betting that the constant news coverage drives attendance...so contributing to the problem.

And the frustrating thing is the frothing at the mouth hate.  There have been more than one person to argue the people who need medical attention should have been left to die.

In just about any Internet discussion out there, you will find some extremist statements. That doesn't mean it's how (the people of) "our city" at large feel.
(03-18-2019, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 10:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This is one of the most frustrating things our city does--and I do NOT mean the students.

(03-18-2019, 04:44 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm betting that the constant news coverage drives attendance...so contributing to the problem.

In just about any Internet discussion out there, you will find some extremist statements. That doesn't mean it's how (the people of) "our city" at large feel.

Sure...but it is absolutely the case that the less extreme opinion of "they should be forced to stop because I'm angry about this and mah tax dollars!"....is by far the most common belief.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »