Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Strata | 16 & 22 fl | Proposed
This development passed at council this evening.

Glad to see it moving forward
(09-10-2018, 09:55 PM)Veggieburger Wrote: This development passed at council this evening.

Wow! I'm shocked … and pleased!
Just realized that this project narrowly missed out on becoming Waterloo's tallest building at 77.45m.
Actually my comment above may not be correct , I was reading the city's page on the project and pulled that number but it was referring to the project as 22 floors.
The Record's Take on this:  https://www.therecord.com/news-story/889...in-towers/

Sounds like business owners are in favour of the increased number of residents.
Not to turn this into a Kitchener vs Waterloo debate, but I found these two quotes very direct in a shot across the bow kinda way:

Quote:"It just makes sense that as a city we start getting stuff like that approved, or else we're going to lose it to our sister down the street, who's grown up to be this absolutely beautiful woman," Keshvani said.

Quote:Waterloo fell behind its neighbour by relying too much on its universities "and we can't do that any more. Kitchener didn't sit back and look where they are," Good said. "The entrance to Kitchener is spectacular. It's a showstopper ... We don't have anything like that."

Curious if people start demanding/expecting more.

For once, I agree with Kae Elgie (or at least her words):
Quote:"You will be leaving a legacy for your successors. So please make sure it's a good one," heritage advocate Kae Elgie said.

This building will be a great legacy to leave to the council's successors.
(09-12-2018, 10:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote: For once, I agree  with Kae Elgie (or at least her words):
Quote:"You will be leaving a legacy for your successors. So please make sure it's a good one," heritage advocate Kae Elgie said.

Agreed.  This is an exciting development.
This will be the first condo development on King St. in the Uptown core (between Bridgeport and William).
(09-12-2018, 10:38 AM)tomh009 Wrote: For once, I agree  with Kae Elgie (or at least her words):

I think this way of thinking needs to be applied to all decisions though.  Think long term.  Leave a legacy.  No more short term thinking.
Keeping in mind that many people's idea of legacy is more parts don't-ever-change than make good changes.
There's a website, and we can confirm the name:  Strata
(02-20-2019, 03:14 PM)Spokes Wrote: There's a website, and we can confirm the name:  Strata

Well … that's a pretty generic name for a condo building!

Cool shot of the streetscape too:

[Image: photo.aspx?sid=101497&pid=8868&ptoid=9BJ...Vtdzluo%3D]
That does look super cool.

From what I've heard, there has been some doubt that sales will start this year (spring/fall) since the developer or sales team may want to space out sales relative to other projects going on.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »