Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Strata | 16 & 22 fl | Proposed
(02-26-2022, 09:50 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: In the news

https://www.thereìcord.com/news/waterloo...oject.html

Waterloo again shows its true colours with respect to affordable housing....

"No three-bedroom condos are planned. Higgins figures they would cost too much. There is no plan for subsidized units. “It’s still a very high-end product,” he said. "

Affordable housing is an issue for Kitchener and Cambridge, so it seems.

Re-quoting the article ... the emphasis is mine.

(02-28-2022, 04:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Re-quoting the article ... the emphasis is mine.

Every condo sold these days is marketed as luxury, because that's what sells units. I don't think there's anything particularly luxurious about most of these buildings.
Indeed, it's just a marketing term. They try to look luxury, but that's it. You guys would be surprised by how much they cheap out on things when you look into all the details of design and material.

Think of it like this...it's like comparing Ikea furniture to Vitsœ furniture. Ikea furniture can look fine and contemporary in design, but at the end of the day it's often just cheap particle board and glue. There's a big difference between a 90 dollar Ikea table and a 600 dollar Vitsœ table, for example. SRM Architects would be Ikea, SANAA or RCR Arquitectes would be Vitsœ.
Waterloo council considers new plan for old post office site

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/kitchener/...9.amp.html
I was cycling by on Regina this afternoon and I noticed that the building is being demolished.
Webinar on Tuesday
Registration Here

[Image: ZnHlbjV.jpg]
Every time I see the render the Bridgeport facade looks worse and worse. Why do cities allow giant empty walls to be built in 2022?

Ya I agree, I feel more negative about this project each time I click this thread it seems
(04-17-2022, 06:48 PM)Lens Wrote: Why do cities allow giant empty walls to be built in 2022?
As has been mentioned elsewhere, cities actually have very little control over the visual esthetic of the building.
(04-17-2022, 10:21 PM)nms Wrote:
(04-17-2022, 06:48 PM)Lens Wrote: Why do cities allow giant empty walls to be built in 2022?
As has been mentioned elsewhere, cities actually have very little control over the visual esthetic of the building.

In my experience in the industry they could definitely push for changes under existing processes. They can also do more to change the approvals process so they get what they want
(04-17-2022, 10:21 PM)nms Wrote:

Visual aesthetic perhaps, but there is nothing subjective about changing by-laws to not allow designated roads to have zero street level engagement. The problem is not necessarily the giant empty wall itself, but that an entire block off the Main Street of your downtown is permanently dead.

Maybe there is an argument there are not enough commercial tenants to fill the space, but that seems counter to the huge influx of bedrooms such a development is bringing with it.
Average price PSF ranges from 865-950. Makes you wonder why anyone would buy at TEK Tower compared to something like this. 

Here are some screenshots from their webinar today:
[Image: lo6xVBp.jpg][Image: sxhAVF8.jpg][Image: 576CUGR.jpg][Image: CYCSvP2.jpg][Image: PQJMQbj.jpg][Image: svmzYc5.jpg]
That "park" is gonna be so nasty if they let people use it as a dog toilet.

Seems odd to have the dog wash on the podium roof rather than down in the garage.
I'm fine with the tower but I can't help but feel there's considerable wasted space for this site under the latest proposal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »