Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Strata | 16 & 22 fl | Proposed
(10-23-2019, 11:33 AM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 02:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I've never been able to decide whether I like this or whether it's a hot mess.  Today, I'm leaning toward the latter.  I find the contrast between the podium canopy and the towers to be jarring and I don't care for the skybridge at all.
Imo it's a beautiful building that looks out of place in that location. It does look like a bit of a mess given how its just plopped in uptown with nothing else around it even remotely similar in building style. 

The other thing is this building has a massive base. Obviously I understand the concern with building large developments in KW still, but if this was 30 and 40 stories with a bridge on the 25th floor or something like that it would look way better and feel more balanced with the size of the podium

This is where I'm at. But I still support the project because the momentum has to start somewhere. Hopefully this project makes future projects easier to approve

It looks a bit out of place, but modernization needs to start somewhere. With time you'll see more developments with high architectural standards like this that pop up around the core.
(10-23-2019, 12:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 09:33 AM)Watdot Wrote: There's more coming to that immediate (400m) area.  An approved project is "26, 28 Dorset & 7 Princess".  It will be 11 storeys.  There's no doubt in my mind that we will see further developments around King North & Young and Regina & Young in the future too.  Need to start somewhere with this sort of density for that immediate area.

NOTE: I was wrong, Marsland Centre isn't quite the only taller building. The Princess Apartments building is also seven storeys, if I recall correctly.

Correct. 14 Princess West. It's a rather nice building. They're the only two real tall buildings uptown, unless the 5 floor office beside the city hall counts.

Up until Waterloo Public Square turned into a square, the old mall used to have this old 6 floor office.
(10-24-2019, 02:17 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 12:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote: NOTE: I was wrong, Marsland Centre isn't quite the only taller building. The Princess Apartments building is also seven storeys, if I recall correctly.

Correct. 14 Princess West. It's a rather nice building. They're the only two real tall buildings uptown, unless the 5 floor office beside the city hall counts.

Up until Waterloo Public Square turned into a square, the old mall used to have this old 6 floor office.

The 8 floor apartment building on William at Herbert is about the same distance from King/Erb as 14 Princess.
Bumping this. Was in area yesterday and observed the post office. Any updates?
There's construction fencing around this whole lot, including the patio for Night School.
Here is the last submission from 2018. I wonder if the plan will be revised, this is so bulky due to the above ground parking. 87.5m total in height

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/re...cation.pdf

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/re...-plans.pdf

Demo permit issued

[attachment=8118]
Looks like HIP has submitted a new proposal for 70 King St N and I can't say I'm very fond of the change... 
The tower design looks odd, to say the least.

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/zo...-St-N-2022

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more details:
  • Proposing 120 one-bedroom and 123 two-bedroom units
  • 168 parking spaces (0.6 spaces per unit for residents vs required 1.5)
  • Still planned to contain Launch, the STEAM-based learning centre
  • a private and public rooftop amenity area
That design is million times better than what they originally had. If this is what they're going to build, I'm in favour. It's a very unique look. The podium doesn't look that interesting unfortunately, but the tower itself looks great.
Classic Hip slab footprint. The tower looks better and I can appreciate the simplicity of the podium facing Regina but there's now a massive blank wall and honestly, the bridge amenity space was really cool and helped this stand out. I know the original glassy podium would have never looked that good, it was probably used to sell the STEAM component to the city.
(02-01-2022, 05:56 PM)Anthomas Wrote: Looks like HIP has submitted a new proposal for 70 King St N and I can't say I'm very fond of the change... 
The tower design looks odd, to say the least.

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/zo...-St-N-2022

Not specifically about this building -- but it looks like Waterloo never removes buildings from this list. The Princess/Dorset project is still there, four years later ...

(02-01-2022, 06:18 PM)ac3r Wrote: That design is million times better than what they originally had. If this is what they're going to build, I'm in favour. It's a very unique look. The podium doesn't look that interesting unfortunately, but the tower itself looks great.

If that's what they build. HIP has made some big changes before, too.
I like it
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »